View of Chateau de Foix in Lazema area|
View of Chateau de Foix in Lazema area
The coat of arms used by the commune has the blazon D'or à trois pals de gueules (gold with three red stripes). This is replicated on the flag, and in the arms of the département. It originates from the arms of the Counts of Foix, and, as such, dates back into medieval times. It bears a resemblance to the coat of arms of Aragon, both featuring in the coat of arms of Andorra.
In 1955 the post office issued a postage stamp with a face value of 50 cents, consisting of the black, green, yellow and red representing the Arms of County of Foix which is referenced as YT 1044. It is part of the eighth century series of Provincial Coat of Arms.
In 1958, the post office issued a postage stamp with a face value of 15 f., consisting of Ultramarine, gray, brown and green representing the Château de Foix which is referenced YT 11759.
Foix is twinned with the following places:
- 23x15px Lleida (Spain) since 1962
- 23x15px Andorra la Vella (Andorra)
- 23x15px Ripon (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
- Louis de Bassompierre, abbot of Saint-Volusien
- Charles de Freycinet (1828-1923), statesman and prime minister.
- Louis Pailhas (born 1926), director of the National School of Civil Aviation from 1967 to 1982
- Christian d'Orgeix (born 1927), surrealist painter
- Frédéric Soulié (1800-1847)
- Alexandre Rauzy, MP under the Third Republic, the Socialist Party activist and Democratic Socialist Party
- Roger Bataille (1926-1962) painter
- Eric Carrière, footballer
- Jean-Yves Ferri, author of comics
- Jean Clottes world renowned prehistorian
- George-Patrick Gleize, writer and novelist
- Marc Bonneval (1953-2010), philosopher and translator
- Chloé Mortaud, Miss France
Tour de France
The granary, dating from 1870, is in the style of Victor Baltard.
The castle stands on a rocky outcrop, to the west of the town. The majority of the present building dates from the twelfth century to the fourteenth century. In the North, the square tower, covered by a slated roof at the end of the nineteenth century, is certainly the oldest because it dates the eleventh and twelfth centuries. The middle tower, built in the thirteenth century, was completely renovated in the fourteenth century. It has beautiful architectural features such as sculpted heads and coats of arms keystones. The round tower on the other hand has Gothic architecture with large bays illuminating beautiful hexagonal vaulted halls.
In 1104, the regular canons of St. Augustine took possession of an abbey housing the relics of St. Volusien. It was then that the construction of a large church with three naves, with a transept, was undertaken. In the fourteenth century, the Romanesque apse was replaced by a new polygonal chancel. The building was destroyed during the religious wars and the relics were burned. Reconstruction work was undertaken from 1609 and completed in 1670. Of the medieval church, there are mainly the portal and the base of the walls of the nave remaining. There is an organ of 40 stops, built by Fermis in 1869 and restored in 2007.
This still retains its medieval character as reflected in the narrow streets (Rue des Marchands, the Rue des Chapeliers), and some half-timbered houses.
Chapel and area of Montgauzy
Of the primitive Romanesque church and the church of the thirteenth century, there is nothing left. The present church dates partly from 1628, and kept the Romanesque layout and a portal that imitates the style. The history of the chapel Montgauzy is hectic. Its foundation commemorates the victory of Charlemagne over the Moors in 778, and the chapel became a place of pilgrimage. In 1340, the Bishop of Pamiers, Arnaud Villemur, had to intervene against incivility of some of pilgrims which were becoming increasingly numerous (there were reports of noisy evenings). On January 4, 1562, the chapel is one of the many targets of the Reformation and in 1579 the governor of the castle of Foix demolished it. It was rebuilt in 1628 and the pilgrimage recommenced. Following the revolution, having been rebuilt, it is sold in 1791. This private property, due to lack of maintenance, then falls apart. It is the turn of the department to make the purchase in 1840. An École Normale is installed in the area and the chapel in 1843 is made fit for worship. It closed again in 1883, and the furniture is scattered. After repairs in 1943, it was again reopened for worship.
The Alleys of Villote
The "Villote" (small town), in the Middle Ages, was a space outside the walls surrounding the city built in 1330. Executions took place sometimes at the alleys. In the thirteenth century, after the destruction of the city walls, tree planting and urban works with a fountain and orchestra setting, make it the choice for walking for the local Fuxéens. The site currently houses the festivities of the city, the market (every Friday) as well as many shops, eating places and public services.
- Claudine Pailhès, Le comté de Foix: un pays et des hommes : regards sur un comté pyrénéen au moyen âge (Louve, 2006) ISBN 2-916488-09-X, ISBN 978-2-916488-09-7, 462 p. 
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Foix.|
- Medieval History of Navarre
- Official website Invalid language code.
- List of Counts of Foix
- Rulers of Languedoc (including Foix)
- Discover Foix on www.toulousevisit.com
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).