Former state routes in Arizona
Example signage from the Arizona State Highway System
|Interstates:||Interstate X (I-X)|
|US Routes:||U.S. Route X (US X)|
|State:||State Route X (SR X)|
Below is a list and summary of the former state highways.
- 1 State Route 62
- 2 State Route 63
- 3 State Route 65
- 4 State Route T-69
- 5 State Route 81
- 6 State Route 84A
- 7 State Route 89L
- 8 State Route 93
- 9 State Route 153
- 10 State Route 160
- 11 State Route 164
- 12 State Route 166
- 13 State Route 170
- 14 State Route 172
- 15 State Route 173
- 16 State Route 279
- 17 State Route 280
- 18 State Route 360
- 19 State Route 364
- 20 State Route 464
- 21 State Route 504
- 22 State Route 789
- 23 References
- 24 External links
State Route 62
State Route 62 was a state highway in northwestern Arizona running a total of Script error: No such module "convert". from US 93, north of Kingman to the mining town of Chloride. The road first appeared on a 1936 map and it was deleted from the state highway system in 1972 because of the closure of the mine in Chloride. The road is still in use today as a county route.
State Route 63
State Route 63 was a state highway in northeastern Arizona. The route first appeared on a state map in 1932 running through the Petrified Forest National Park east of Winslow between then U.S. Route 66 and U.S. Route 260. The road was decertified in 1933 and is now maintained by the National Park Service.
SR 63 then appeared again on a state map in 1961 along a route from U.S. Route 66 in Sanders north to then State Route 164. The route disappeared on maps in the early 1980s when the route became U.S. Route 191 and SR 164 became U.S. Route 160.
State Route 65
State Route 65 was a state highway in northern Arizona traveling in a north-south direction between Payson and Winslow. This road is now part of State Route 87. It changed route numbers in 1967, when the last section of paving was completed to link it with State Route 87.
State Route T-69
This was the link between the eastern end of Interstate 10 where the Maricopa Freeway ended at 40th Street, and Arizona routes 87 and 93 near Mesa and Chandler. When the Maricopa Freeway was built and opened in 1962, it ended at 40th Street. The Arizona Highway Department apparently wanted to post a truck route around Tempe and Mesa. SR T-69 was signed through the farm fields on 40th Street south to Baseline Road, and then east on Baseline to Country Club Drive in Mesa (Arizona Avenue in Chandler), where it linked with routes 87 and 93. For a few months in about 1970, T-69 was the northern terminus for an unmarked, orphan section of Interstate 10, when four miles (6 km) of freeway were built south from Baseline to Williams Field Road (now Chandler Blvd.). T-69 was not marked as "Temporary I-10", nor was it marked with "TO 10" signs. Interstate 10 in the 1960s simply was not marked between Phoenix and Picacho, and remained unsigned until the interstate was opened from Baseline Road in Guadalupe to Picacho in about 1970. T-69 west of Guadalupe remained a state highway for a few more months, until the "Broadway Curve" section of Interstate 10 opened; during this period it was co-signed as the route "TO 10". T-69 was erased when the Phoenix-Tucson freeway was opened.
Arizona Highway Department maps of the era referred to the route as TEMP 69, although State Route 69 never extended south or east beyond the southern end of the Black Canyon Freeway, and T-69 never linked to Route 69.
State Route 81
|State Route 81<div style="margin:.4em 0 0 0; height:.5em; background:#AAA;"/>|
|Location:||Safford to Douglas|
|State Route 81<div style="margin:.4em 0 0 0; height:.5em; background:#AAA;"/>|
|Location:||Script error: No such module "Jct". to Lyman Lake State Park|
State Route 81 was a state highway in eastern Arizona that served Lyman Lake State Park from 1963–2005, traversing Script error: No such module "convert". from its start at U.S. Route 180 / U.S. Route 191 between St. Johns and Springerville to Lyman Lake. The Arizona Department of Transportation turned the road over to the Arizona State Parks Department in 2005 as it was contained within a state park.
SR 81 was the shortest state highway in Arizona before State Route 280 was established in 1976. SR 81, while short, served as one of the original state routes from 1927. The route was originally a major highway stretching from Douglas to Safford. In 1936 it took over the old stretch of State Route 71 north to Sanders, but this entire route became part of U.S. Route 666 in 1938, and subsequently renumbered to U.S. Route 191 in 1992.
State Route 84A
State Route 84A or what is known today as West Miracle Mile in Tucson, Arizona, was designated a state route for a decade in the mid-1950s to mid-1960s to connect State Route 84 to U.S. Route 80 and 89. This alternative route was used as an in-town route to connect the future freeway to downtown Tucson. When Interstate 10 in the Tucson area was being constructed, this route was the designation of Temporary I-10. After I-10 was built, this route was dropped from the state highway list and turned over to the City of Tucson. It is currently used by a different state route, SR 77.
State Route 89L
State Route 89L was a state highway in Page, Arizona. Though the number indicated that it was a loop for State Route 89, that is incorrect. It was in fact a business loop for U.S. Route 89 through the town of Page, Arizona. It did not intersect SR 89. Moreover, it was the only Arizona state highway known to have used the "L" suffix. SR 89L was removed from the state highway system in 2005.
State Route 93
|State Route 93<div style="margin:.4em 0 0 0; height:.5em; background:#AAA;"/>|
|Location:||Wickenburg to Nogales|
State Route 93 was a state highway in Arizona that existed from 1946 to 1985. The route was cosigned with other highways along nearly all of its route from Kingman to the border at Nogales. State Route 93 was the original designation for the highway from Kingman to Wickenburg, which was built in 1946. At some point prior to 1964 the northern terminus of the state route was moved south to the unnamed desert junction with U.S. 89 just north of Wickenburg, and the southern terminus of U.S. 93 was moved route south to the U.S. 89 junction. At that junction a driver would pass from U.S. 93 onto State Route 93. When U.S. 89 was reduced to state highway status in the 1990s, U.S. 93's southern terminus was moved south a few miles to U.S. 60 in Wickenburg. For some unknown reason, the Arizona Highway Department either never sought, or was never granted, U.S. Highway status for Route 93 across the rest of the state.
At its original northern terminus in Kingman, Arizona 93 branched off of U.S. 66 (Andy Devine Avenue) at Louise Avenue, which is several miles east of where U.S. Route 93 and U.S. Route 466 branched northwest to Boulder City and Las Vegas. The old two-lane State Route 93 headed east, south of and parallel to the new alignment of Interstate 40 until it came to the new section of Route 93 built to connect with the new freeway at DW Ranch Rd. (I-40 exit 59). The old road turnoff from the current U.S. 93 alignment is still apparent Script error: No such module "convert". south of the I-40/93 interchange.
From Wickenburg to the southeast, State Route 93 was co-signed with U.S. Route 60, U.S. Route 70 and U.S. Route 89 to Phoenix, via Grand Avenue. At Grand Avenue's terminus at Van Buren and Seventh avenues (Five Points), the quartet of highways picked up U.S. Route 80 from San Diego. The 93 emblem was at the bottom of the routes 60-70-80-89-93 totem pole for years (along with Business Loop 10 in the 1970s and '80s) for a short time ending in 1965) through Phoenix on Van Buren Street. The co-signing continued through Tempe on Mill Avenue and Apache Trail, and Mesa's Main Street (but without B-10, which went south from Phoenix on 48th Street to join the freeway at Broadway Road.).
At downtown Mesa's Country Club Drive, State Route 93 made a south turn and was co-signed with State Route 87. About five miles (8 km) south of Chandler, State Route 87 forked off to the southeast and State Route 93 had its own unshared road south about Script error: No such module "convert". to Casa Grande. The middle section of this road was abandoned when it was overlapped by the adjacent Interstate 10 freeway in 1970. The old road continues a bit south of I-10's Casa Blanca Road interchange as a Gila Indian route, but dead ends at a new canal. The rest of the road to its former junction near the Interstate 10 interchange with State Route 587 is abandoned. You can see the old road from images on Google Earth or other satellite images. When State Route 93 was delisted, the road to Chandler from the south became State Route 587 to connect State Route 87 south of Chandler with Interstate 10 at Casa Blanca Road. The southern stub, from Interstate 10 to downtown Casa Grande, was posted State Route 387.
Southeast from Casa Grande, State Route 93 overlapped State Route 84 to Tucson. When the Interstate was built from Picacho to Tucson in 1961, State Route 84 was truncated at the Picacho traffic interchange (as was State Route 87 coming in from Coolidge, which to this day terminates there). State Route 84 now terminates in Casa Grande.
After 1962, State Route 93 remained cosigned with Interstate 10 from Picacho to Miracle Mile in Tucson, and then was cosigned with Business Loop 10 on Miracle Mile West (formerly State Route 84A, now the southern-most leg of State Route 77), and then cosigned again with U.S. 80 and U.S. Route 89 (and State Route 789, a strange little highway) down Oracle Road/Miracle Mile/Oracle Road to Drachman Street. (State Route 789 was delisted about 1966, U.S. 80 was truncated at Benson in about 1977.)
In Tucson, the highways zigged three blocks east on Drachman Street to Stone Avenue and then headed south to downtown Tucson. The creation of a one-way northbound Sixth Avenue in the late 1960s, paired with a one-way southbound Stone Avenue from the railroad tracks south to Tucson's Five Points at 17th Street and 6th Avenue, shifted the north and westbound highways to Sixth, and they jagged west on Drachman. This put all the northbound highways on what then and now are residential streets. This one-way couplet was being removed by Tucson engineers at this writing, March 2008.
From 17th Street, both directions of U.S. 80/89 and State Route 93/789 extended south on 6th Avenue through South Tucson to the old South Tucson interchange. This was Arizona's first cloverleaf, although the ramp curves were basically Script error: No such module "convert". radius U-turns to the right onto a frontage road. It was streamlined into a diamond interchange by 1964. Old pictures exist of the signs marking U.S. 80 to the north on 6th Avenue and east on Benson Highway, State Route 84 to the west on the new bypass (which then and now was simply named "Freeway," with addresses for roadside motels given as 400 N. Freeway), and State Route 86 to the south (to Ajo Way, then west to Why) and east (to the Willcox cutoff), as well as U.S. 89 and State Route 93 going over the freeway on 6th Avenue.
South to Mexico, U.S. 89 and State Route 93 and 789 were co-signed to the Grand Avenue border gate in Nogales. Interstate 19 first appeared in a Script error: No such module "convert". stub between Interstate 10 and Valencia Road in about 1963, and a one-mile (1.6 km) orphan in Green Valley at the same time. The 1960-era highway exists nearly unchanged from Tucson to Green Valley, east of the new Interstate 19 in Tubac and Amado, and in Nogales.
State Route 153
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2008)|
State Route 153, also known as the Sky Harbor Expressway, was a state highway in Maricopa County, Arizona, that used to run from the intersection of 44th Street and Washington Street in Phoenix south to University Drive. It was a controlled access arterial expressway, with a speed limit of Script error: No such module "convert"., lower than the standard freeway speed of Script error: No such module "convert".. SR 153 was also a north-south route that skirts the eastern edge of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, and along with SR 143, SR 153 served a portion of East Valley residents with access to the airport. The majority of them used SR 143 instead, because of its quick access to and from Interstate 10 and Loop 202. SR 153 did, however, provide a direct link between east Phoenix, such as office developments in the Southbank commercial project, and the city of Tempe.
State Route 160
|State Route 160<div style="margin:.4em 0 0 0; height:.5em; background:#AAA;"/>|
|Location:||Payson to Show Low|
State Route 160 was an east-west state highway in north-central Arizona, starting in the city of Payson and ending. in the city of Show Low, traveling along much of the Mogollon Rim. It first appeared on a state map in 1955 and was decommissioned in 1969 when State Route 260 took over its route. This route has no relation to U.S. Route 160 which was established on a different alignment in the northeastern corner of the state.
State Route 164
|State Route 164<div style="margin:.4em 0 0 0; height:.5em; background:#AAA;"/>|
|Location:||Flagstaff to Valle (1960-62); Tuba City to Four Corners (1962-70)|
State Route 164 was a state highway in the northern part of the state of Arizona. It had two routes in its brief history. From 1960 to 1962, it started in the city of Flagstaff, at U.S. 66 and U.S. 89 and ended at the town of Valle, at its junction with State Route 64. The route then became part of U.S. Route 180, when it was extended further west. From 1962 to 1970, it started in the town of Tuba City and ended at the Four Corners in the northeastern corner of Arizona. It was decommissioned when U.S. Route 160 took over its route.
State Route 166
|State Route 166<div style="margin:.4em 0 0 0; height:.5em; background:#AAA;"/>|
|Location:||Script error: No such module "Jct". to Walnut Canyon National Monument|
State Route 166, also known as SR 166, was a state highway in the north-central part of Arizona, starting at a junction with U.S. Route 66 and ended at the Walnut Canyon National Monument. It first appeared on a state map in 1957 and was decommissioned in 1971 when the route through the national monument was taken over by the Forest Service. It also appeared in older state maps on a route from Winslow to Second Mesa. Also known as the Winslow-Toreva Highway, the route became a part of State Route 87. There is a historical marker about this highway north of Winslow.
State Route 170
State Route 170, also known as SR 170, was a north-south state highway in eastern Arizona. It was an older route of U.S. Route 70 and State Route 73. It had a total length of Script error: No such module "convert".. The route was decertified in 2003. The road still exists today as Indian Route 170.
State Route 172
State Route 172 was a state highway along the western part of Arizona. It was established for a route from the town of Parker to Parker Dam, along the Colorado River. It existed between 1958-1962. After the dam was completed the route was decertified. The road up to the dam site still exists today as a county route. It was the only spur route of State Route 72. The route is now a part of State Route 95.
State Route 173
State Route 173 was a north-south state highway in north-central Arizona, that connected Show Low and McNary Jct., now known as Hon Dah. The route and travels along part of the Mogollon Rim. It first appeared on a state map in 1946 and became part of State Route 260 in the 1970s. This route was a spur of State Route 73 which was the eastern terminus.
State Route 279
State Route 279 was a state route that originally ran from present dayState Route 89A in Cottonwood to Interstate 17 in Camp Verde. The route first appeared in the state map in 1955 and was decertified when State Route 260 was extended to the west in the early 1980s. By that time, State Route 79 was replaced with Interstate 17 as well. The entire route was replaced by State Route 260 when the 260 designation was extended from Payson across State Route 87 and the General Crook Trail. Although most of SR 279 was replaced by SR 260, there are two separate parts where the new highway does not run on top of the original. The first stretch is in Cottonwood on Camino Real heading south from SR 89A, where the road continues into SR 260 according to most maps; however, the pavement ends at Odgen Ranch Road. The second stretch is on the western side of Camp Verde. An old loop road labeled "Old Highway 279" runs from SR 260 at the picnic tables to the west, returning to SR 260 before reaching I-17. This segment is not paved along its entire length.
State Route 280
State Route 280 was a state highway in Yuma County, Arizona that ran from its junction with Interstate 8 in Yuma to the Interstate 8 business loop. The route was turned over to the city of Yuma in April 2007 for maintenance. The road is now Avenue 3E, yet signage for SR 280 remains, including exit signs for Avenue 3E on Interstate 8.
SR 280 was the shortest state highway in Arizona, Script error: No such module "convert".. It existed wholly within the city of Yuma and served the Yuma International Airport.
State Route 360
State Route 360 was a state route located in the Phoenix, Arizona area of the United States. From 1970 to 1992, SR 360 was assigned along the Superstition Freeway from Interstate 10 in Tempe through Mesa to U.S. Route 60 in Apache Junction. In 1992, US 60, which entered the Phoenix area on surface streets north of SR 360, was realigned onto the Superstition Freeway, replacing SR 360 in its entirety.
State Route 364
State Route 364, also known as SR 364, was a state highway in the northeastern corner of the state of Arizona, starting in the town of Teec Nos Pos and ending at the state-line near the Four Corners. It first appeared on a state map in 1962 and was decommissioned in 1964 when the road was renumbered to U.S. Route 160. Its parent route was State Route 64 and a majority of its historical route was also taken by U.S. Route 160 around the same time.
State Route 464
State Route 464 was a state highway in the northeastern corner of the state of Arizona, starting in the town of Kayenta and ending at the town of Mexican Hat. It was a sister route of State Route 64. It first appeared on a state map in 1962 and was decommissioned in 1970 when the route was renumbered to U.S. Route 163. The route goes through Monument Valley.
State Route 504
State Route 504 was a state highway in the northeastern corner of the state of Arizona, starting in the town of Teec Nos Pos and ending at the New Mexico state line, only Script error: No such module "convert". away. It continued on as State Route 504. It first appeared on a state map in 1965 and was decommissioned around 1989 when the route was renumbered to U.S. Route 64. It was the shortest state highway in Arizona during its entire existence.
State Route 789
State Route 789 was a state highway in the eastern part of the state of Arizona, starting in the town of Nogales and ending at the New Mexico state line near Gallup on old U.S. Route 66 (presently Interstate 40). The route was cosigned with other routes, including U.S. Route 89 North from Nogales to Tucson, U.S. Route 80/U.S. Route 89 north from Tucson to U.S. Route 60 and U.S. Route 70 at Florence Junction, east on 60/70 to Globe and then 60 past Show Low to State Route 61, then east on 61 to U.S. 666 north of Springerville, where it overlapped U.S. 666 and U.S. 66 to Gallup N.M. It first appeared on an Arizona state map in 1956 and was decommissioned around 1965 when the route was decertified.
State Route 789 was a leg of a proposed U.S. 789, a number proposed for the Canada to Mexico Highway. Boosters wanted to route this new highway marked from Nogales, Arizona, north to Sweetgrass, Montana. Since the highway was to be routed along existing U.S. highways for the majority of its journey, an application for this route to be signed as a U.S. highway was denied by AASHTO. One remnant of U.S. 789 in Wyoming remains to this day as Wyoming 789.
U.S 789 was to continue north with U.S. 666 through Farmington into Cortez, Colorado. U.S. 160 and State Route 789 turned east to serve Durango.
At Durango, State Route 789 turned north again, this time via U.S. 550. At Montrose, State Route 789 followed U.S. 50 northwest to Grand Junction, then turned east again, this time via U.S. 6-24 (now Interstate 70). At Rifle, State Route 789 turned north along Colo. 13, which took State Route 789 to its present Wyoming routing at Baggs. State Route 789 is still designated through Wyoming today; see the routing section above. North of Frannie, State Route 789 continued into Montana via U.S. 310 to Laurel. State Route 789 turned east via U.S. 10-212 (now Interstate 90 and U.S. 212) into Billings. U.S. 87 and State Route 789 merged from Billings all the way to Great Falls, which brought SR 789 westward again. Then State Route 789 turned due north along U.S. 91 (now I-15) to its end at Sweetgrass, Montana.
As the Association of American State Highway Administrators never approved the concept of U.S. 789, all the state route segments started to disappear, with State Route 789 decertified about 1965.
The only stand-alone section of putative U.S. 789 is a section of Wyoming 789.