Adverts

Open Access Articles- Top Results for Fort-Mardyck

Fort-Mardyck

Coordinates: 51°01′52″N 2°18′22″E / 51.031°N 2.3061°E / 51.031; 2.3061{{#coordinates:51.031|2.3061||||||| |primary |name= }}

Location of Fort-Mardyck in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
File:Fort Mardijk - Fort-Mardyck and the attacks of 1646 (Atlas van Loon).jpg
A map of the fort of Mardyck and the attacks of 1646, from the Atlas van Loon.

Fort-Mardyck (Dutch: Fort-Mardijk) is a former commune in the Nord department in northern France. Since 9 December 2010, it is part of the commune of Dunkirk.[1][2] In 1999 it had 3,770 inhabitants.

History

The fort of Mardyck was constructed in 1622 by architect Jean Gamel. It was built for the Spanish who ruled Flanders at the time. The fort was captured, lost, and captured again by the French between 1644 and 1658. After the Battle of the Dunes (June 14, 1658) the fort came under the control of the English Commonwealth, in accordance with the terms of their involvement. After having bought Dunkirk and the fort of Mardyck from the English in 1662, King Louis XIV of France ordered that the fort be dismantled. On 12 February 1867, a French imperial decree established Fort-Mardyck as an independent municipality.

Heraldry

File:Flag of Fort-Mardyck.svg
Flag of Fort-Mardyck
The arms of Fort-Mardyck are blazoned :
Gules, unicorn saliant argent, on a chief a sun in her splendour, all within a bordure Or. (The emblazon shows a per fess field, which would make more sense, rather than a field and chief...)



References

  1. ^ La Voix du Nord 8 December 2010
  2. ^ INSEE

External links

Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.