Fox Sports New Orleans
|Fox Sports New Orleans|
|Launched||October 31, 2012|
|Network||Fox Sports Networks|
Fox Entertainment Group|
(21st Century Fox)
|Headquarters||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Sister channel(s)||Fox Sports Southwest|
|Dish Network||Channel varies by date|
(New Orleans and Baton Rouge)
|Available on most other cable systems in designated broadcast area||Consult your local cable provider or program listings source for channel availability|
|Fox Sports Go||
(U.S. cable internet subscribers only; requires login from participating providers to stream content; some events may not be available due to league rights restrictions)
Fox Sports New Orleans is an American regional sports network that is owned by Fox Cable Networks, a unit of the Fox Entertainment Group division of 21st Century Fox, that is operated as an affiliate of Fox Sports Networks. The channel broadcasts local coverage of professional and collegiate sports events within New Orleans and the state of Louisiana.
Fox Sports New Orleans is available on cable providers throughout Louisiana, East Texas, the Florida Panhandle, and parts of Mississippi and Alabama (including Cox Communications, AT&T U-verse, Charter Communications, Suddenlink Communications and Comcast), with an estimated regional reach of 2.5 million households with a pay television subscription; it is also available on satellite via DirecTV and Dish Network.
The formation of Fox Sports New Orleans was announced on June 25, 2012, after Fox Sports Networks signed a new long-term agreement with the New Orleans Hornets (now the New Orleans Pelicans) to broadcast the NBA team's games. Fox acquired the regional cable television rights to the Hornets after Cox Sports Television declined to renew its contract with the team. The channel launched on October 31, 2012, at the start of the Hornets regular season that year; Fox Sports New Orleans broadcast 75 Hornets games during the first year of the team's agreement with the channel.
In addition to carrying the Pelicans' exhibition, regular season and early-round conference playoff games, Fox Sports New Orleans also airs Major League Baseball games featuring the Texas Rangers and select broadcasts of the NHL's Dallas Stars televised by sister channel Fox Sports Southwest, as well as collegiate sporting events from the Big 12 Conference and Southeastern Conference.
In 2014, Fox Sports New Orleans began airing select Tulane Green Wave college football games, beginning with the September 9 matchup against the Duke Blue Devils. From its foundation, it also reported that the channel would negotiate for the television rights to the New Orleans Saints' team-related programs and events involving the LSU Tigers.
Notable on-air staff
- Paul Crane – Pelicans host
- Jennifer Hale – Pelicans sideline reporter
- Joel Meyers – Pelicans play-by-play announcer
- David Wesley – Pelicans color commentator
- "Fox Sports New Orleans Details". 24/7 Hornets. October 12, 2012.
- "Fox Sports New Orleans on Charter and More". 24/7 Hornets. October 30, 2012.
- "Hornets, FOX Sports announce new TV rights agreement". WWL-TV (Belo). June 25, 2012.
- "Is Cox changing sports strategy?". Sports Business Journal. May 28, 2012.
- "FOX SPORTS NEW ORLEANS TO BROADCAST 75 REGULAR SEASON GAMES IN 2012-13". NBA.com (Press release). August 22, 2012.
- "Where can I find the Tulane-Duke Football Game?". Tulane University. September 18, 2014.
- foxsports.com/southwest – Fox Sports Southwest official website