|Fox Sports World Canada|
Fox Sports World Canada logo
September 7, 2001|
April 30, 2012|
Fox Sports World Canada was a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel. FSWC's programming primarily featured soccer and covered other world sports such as rugby.
Although its original Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) licence called for Fox Sports World Canada to carry soccer, cricket and rugby as their core sports, cricket and rugby matches all but disappeared from the channel after the first few years. FSWC's flagship program was the Fox Soccer Report, which comprised most of its Canadian content.
On October 27, 2010, Shaw Communications gained control of Fox Sports World as a result of its acquisition of Canwest, which was renamed Shaw Media.
On March 6, 2012, Shaw Media released a statement announcing that they would cease the broadcast of Fox Sports World Canada on midnight of April 30th of that year. The company had been examining the possibility of launching a mainstream sports channel in competition with TSN and Sportsnet, but ultimately decided against it. Shaw claimed the channel "no longer makes strategic and economic sense for Shaw Media going forward" in light of that decision. The channel officially shut down on April 30, 2012.
Fox Sports World Canada featured both live and taped events from the following leagues and competitions:
- Asia Contender
- Football Asia - Soccer highlights from around Asia
- Football Rivalries
- Fox Soccer Report - Flagship news show that featured highlights from all the major leagues in Europe, South America, MLS, International competitions and more.
- Hyundai A-League Highlights - Highlights from the Hyundai A-League.
- PGA Tour Highlights
- Serie-A Highlights - Highlights from Italy's Serie A.
- Sports Unlimited
- Sky Sports News - A feed taken directly from the UK channel of the same name.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.