In May 2011 he began serving as USA Swimming's National Team Director. Prior to USA Swimming, Busch was the Swimming Head Coach for Arizona Wildcats at the University of Arizona for 22 years (1989-2011). Prior to Arizona, he coached at the University of Cincinnati (1980–89).
Busch was born in Cincinnati, Ohio on February 4, 1951. He began his coaching career at age 16 in Edgewood, Ky. After 7 years in summer league coaching (Brookwood Swim Club) and 4 years of AAU coaching (Northern Kentucky Piranhas), he joined the staff of the Cincinnati Marlins for the 1979-80 season as the Associate Head Coach. The Marlins won the National Team Championship that season and placed 6 swimmers on the 1980 United States Olympic Team.
During his collegiate coaching career, Busch was named Coach of the Year by: the NCAA (6 times), Pac-10 (11 times), USA Swimming (1998) and the USOC (1998). During his coaching career at the University of Arizona, his swimmers won 49 NCAA individual titles, 31 NCAA relay titles, and 2 NCAA team championships. While at Arizona, he also led Tucson Ford Aquatics (previously Hillenbrand Aquatics) to several national team championships. In 2008, he was inducted into the ASCA Hall of Fame.
Busch is married (Patrice) with 5 adult children. He currently lives in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Busch's bio from the Arizona Wildcats' website (www.arionawildcats.com); published 2010; retrieved 2011-07-07;
- USA Swimming hires Arizona coach for top job by Beth Harris, AP Sports Writer. Published by USA Today on 2011-02-02; retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Frank Busch named USA Swimming National Team Director, published by USA Swimming on 2011-02-02; retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "Frank Busch to be named USA Swimming National Team Director; USA Swimming Confirms With Press Release". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Former Swimming & Diving Coach Frank Busch Named U.S. National Team Director from GoBearcats.com, website of the University of Cincinnati Athletics; published 2011-02-02, retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Hall of Fame subpage of the ASCA website (www.swimmingcoach.org); retrieved 2011-07-07.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.