Frank Darling (architect)
February 17, 1850|
Scarborough Township, Province of Canada
May 19, 1923 (aged 73)|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Toronto|
|Awards||Royal Institute of British Architects Gold Medal, 1915|
Life and career
Born in Scarborough Township in the Province of Canada, Darling was the son of the rector of Scarborough and later of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto. As a boy, he received his general education at Upper Canada College before entering Trinity College, Toronto. He worked briefly as a bank teller before becoming apprenticed to architect Henry Langley from 1866-1870. He studied and trained in England between 1870-1873 and then returned to Canada. Apart from two brief solo periods in the 1870s, he practiced with a series of collaborators:
- Macdougall & Darling from 1874–75
- Darling & Edwards from 1878–79
- Darling & Curry from 1880–91
- Darling, Curry, Sproatt, & Pearson, 1892
- Darling, Sproatt, & Pearson, 1893–96
Then in 1897, Darling formed the lasting partnership, Pearson and Darling. This firm lasted beyond Darling's death in 1923. The firms in which he was a partnership influenced commercial development in Toronto during the 1910s to 1920s significantly.
Darling was the first Honorary President of the Toronto Beaux-Arts Club, member of the Holt Commission for planning of Ottawa (1913–1915), and was the first Canadian to win the Royal Institute of British Architects Gold Medal in 1915.
Darling died in 1923 and was buried at St. John's Cemetery Norway in Toronto.
|Bank of Montreal||1886||Northwest corner of Yonge Street and Front Street, Toronto||In the Beaux-Arts style by Frank Darling & S. George Curry. Now home to the Hockey Hall of Fame.||100px|
|The Toronto Club||1888||107-109 Wellington Street West, Toronto||In the Palladian, Renaissance Revival, and Richardson Romanesque styles by Frank Darling & S. George Curry.||100px|
|Victoria Hospital for Sick Children||1889-92||67 College Street, Toronto||In the Romanesque Revival style by Frank Darling & S. George Curry.||100px|
|University of Toronto Faculty of Law Flavelle House||1902||78 Queen's Park, University of Toronto St. George campus, Toronto||Monumental neoclassical residence for industrialist Sir Joseph Flavelle by John A. Pearson & Frank Darling. Now used by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Law.||100px|
|Convocation Hall||1907||31 King's College Circle, University of Toronto St. George campus, Toronto||Neoclassical domed rotunda by John A. Pearson & Frank Darling.||100px|
|University of Toronto Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering Sandford Fleming Building||1907||10 King's College Road, University of Toronto St. George campus, Toronto||In the Neoclassical style by John A. Pearson & Frank Darling.||100px|
|South wing of the University of Toronto Sigmund Samuel Building||1912||7 King's College Circle, University of Toronto St. George campus, Toronto||John A. Pearson & Frank Darling.|
|Arts Building, University of Alberta||1915||11487 89 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta||In the Neoclassical style by Percy Erskine Nobbs & Frank Darling.||100px|
|Toronto General Hospital College Street Wing||1919||101 College Street, Toronto||In the Beaux-Arts style by John A. Pearson & Frank Darling. Now part of the MaRS Discovery District.||100px|
- "Frank Darling". Dictionary of Canadian Biography (online ed.). University of Toronto Press. 1979–2005.
- Bank of Montreal Building
- Old Trinity College and Trinity College Gates
- Toronto, No Mean City, by Eric Ross Arthur, Stephen A. Otto
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frank Darling.|
- Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800-1950
- Historicist: The Lasting Legacy of Darling and Pearson
- Historic Places in Canada
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).