TNT's golf coverage is produced by Turner Sports and consists of television broadcasts of some of the key professional golf events in the United States. Currently, TNT has the cable rights to the PGA Championship (with full coverage of the first two rounds and early coverage of the weekend rounds since 1999 after being on sister channel TBS since 1991) as well the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, under a contract with the PGA of America that runs through 2019.
The channel has generally only carried major competitions, as opposed to the other week-to-week tournaments which are under the auspices of the PGA Tour, an organization which is independent from the PGA of America.
In the past, TNT owned cable rights to the (British) Open Championship, as well as the Women's British Open and Senior British Open, from 2003 to 2009 (with ABC picking up weekend coverage), replacing (and ultimately being replaced by) ESPN. TNT also carried the biennial PGA Tour-managed Presidents Cup from 2000 to 2007; Golf Channel assumed those rights beginning with the 2009 event as part of its overall deal for PGA Tour cable rights.
Beginning in 2004, TNT as well as CBS, began broadcasting the PGA Championship in HDTV.
Total scheduled time for Turner Sports' golf coverage by year
- 2003-2004: 19 - When TNT took over the cable package for the British Open in 2003, they started providing 2 hours of early morning coverage on both weekend days prior to the start of ABC's air-time.
- 2005-2006: 20
- 2007-2009: 19
- 1991-1996: 16 - When TBS took over the cable package for the PGA Championship in 1991, they increased the weekday coverage to 6 hours per day. TBS also added 2 hours of Saturday and Sunday coverage.
- 1997: 17
- 1998: 17
- 1999-2005: 17
- 2006-2009: 18
- 2010: 19
- 2011-2013: 18 - Because inclement weather stopped play during the third round of 2012 PGA Championship on Saturday, TNT added coverage starting at 8 a.m. ET on Sunday.
- Jim Huber (2000-2011)
- Verne Lundquist (1995-1997, 2006, 2011) - During the 2006 PGA Championship, Lundquist filled in on TNT for Ernie Johnson, Jr., who was undergoing chemotherapy. During TNT's Sunday coverage of the 2011 PGA Championship, Lundquist once again stepped in for Johnson after Johnson's father died. On both occasions, Lundquist was already on-site as a tower announcer for CBS's coverage.
- Craig Sager (1991-1999) - Sager was the main golf interviewer and essayist during the early years of Turner's coverage.
- Mike Tirico (2006) - During the 2006 Open Championship, Tirico filled in for Ernie Johnson, Jr., who was undergoing chemotherapy. Tirico was also hosting ABC's coverage that week, leading to 11 hour shifts for him.
- Matt Winer
TBS era (1991-1998)