Google Developer Expert
A Google Developer Expert (GDE) is a person recognized by Google Inc. as having exemplary expertise in one or more of their Google Developer products. GDEs are awarded through the Google Developer Experts program established and administered by Google. GDEs have a tenure of one year which can be extended through re-interview. A Google Developer Expert cannot be a Google employee whilst a member of the program. GDEs are not permitted to "make any statements on behalf of Google or any Google company" and be clear that any opinions are not those of Google.
GDE Application Process
The current Google Developer Expert award process requires that the candidate is nominated by an existing GDE. A nominated candidate is then required to:
- Submit written evidence of existing work demonstrating their engagement with the developer community for the supported Google product.
- Pass an interview with a GDE specialising in the supported product
- Pass an interview with a Google employee with expertise in the supported product
Finally, the nomination is reviewed regional Google Developer Relations lead.
The Google Developer Experts program initially started in Japan as the Google Developer API Expert program. In July 2012 Google renamed it to Google Developers Expert program and making it available to developers around the world. In 2014 the official Google Developers Expert site started referring to the program as Google Developer Experts
- "GDE Program Terms & Conditions: 2013-2014". Google. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Introduction of the API Expert program". Google. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Google Developers Expert: recognizing and rewarding top developers". Google. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Official Google Developers Expert recorded in April 2014". Internet Archive. Retrieved 9 November 2014.