Goykānaḍī is an extinct script used in the territory of Goa .This script was also called as kandavī and grantha. This script was similar to the Halekannada and Kadamba script and was extensively used to write Konkani and sometimes Marathi. Similarly this was used by the trading Saraswat and Daivajna families along with the Modi script to maintain their accounts.
Usage and extinction
The inquisition of Goa is seen as a blot in the history of Konkani language.According to the orders of the Goa inquisition it was an offence to remain in possession of books in local languages.All books whatever their subject matter written in Konkani,Marathi and Sanskrit were seized by the inquisition and burnt on the suspicion that they might deal with idolatry. It is probable that valuable non-religious literature dealing with art,literature,sciences etc.were destroyed indiscriminately,as a consequence.For instance even before the inquisition orders a letter dated on 24 November 1548,D Fr Joao de Albuquerque proudly reports his achievement in this direction.
Many Konkani manuscripts which are now found Portugal museum are Roman transliterations of Kandavi manuscripts of Hindu epics. The earliest documents written in this script is found in a petition addressed by Ravala Śeṭī;a Gaunkar of Caraim in the islands of Goa, to the king of Portugal. This 15th-century document bears a signature in Konkani which says: Ravala Śeṭī baraha ( Translation: writing of Ravala Sethi). It is believed that most of the pre-Portuguese documents and books in Kandevi were burnt by the Portuguese missionaries.
- National Archives of India (1985). Indian archives, Volume 34. National Archives of India.,. p. 4.
- Silva, Severine (, 1963). Toponomy of Canara. Popular Prakashan. p. 12. Check date values in:
- Ghantkar, Gajanana (1993). History of Goa through Gõykanadi script (in English, Konkani, Marathi, and Kannada). pp. Page x.
- Saradesāya, Manohararāya (2000). A history of Konkani literature: from 1500 to 1992. Sahitya Akademi,. p. 317. ISBN 9788172016647.
- Bhembre, Uday (September 2009). Konkani bhashetalo paylo sahityakar:Krishnadas Shama. Sunaparant Goa. pp. 55–57.
- South Asian language review, Volumes 1-2. Creative Publishers,. 1991. p. 12.