In relation to motorsport governed by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile, Group R refers to a set of regulations providing production-derived vehicles for outright competition. The Group R regulations were created in 2012 as a replacement for Group A and Group N cars, and took effect from 2013. No new cars will be homologated under Group A or Group N regulations, and instead existing cars are reclassified according to Group R rules. As part of its structure, the Group R regulations have a provision for GT cars, known as RGT.
Classes under Group R
Group R consists of six classes, designated R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6 and RGT; some of these groups will contain their own sub-groups, with cars allocated to each group based on their weight, engine size and powertrain. Teams and drivers are sorted into a specific championship based on the class their car fits into. Cars classified as R1, R2 and R3 contest the World Rally Championship-3 for two-wheel drive cars; specially-prepared R3T cars are also used in the Junior World Rally Championship. Cars classified as R4 and R5 compete in the World Rally Championship-2 alongside existing Super 2000 and Group N Production Cars. Cars classified as RGT compete in the R-GT Cup.
|Engine type||Fuel|| Minimum
|RC5||R1A||Up to 1400cc||Naturally aspirated||Petrol||980 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||WRC-3||Toyota TMG Yaris R1A</small>|
|R1B||1400cc to 1600cc||Naturally aspirated||Petrol||1030 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||Renault Twingo R1|
|R1T||1400cc||Turbocharged||Petrol||TBA||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||Hyundai i20 R1|
|RC4||R2B||1400cc to 1600cc||Naturally aspirated||Petrol||1030 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||Ford Fiesta R2|
|R2C||1600cc to 2000cc||Naturally aspirated||Petrol||1080 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||Ford Fiesta R2|
|RC3||R3C||1600cc to 2000cc||Naturally aspirated||Petrol||1080 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||Renault Clio R3|
|R3D||Up to 2000cc||Supercharged||Diesel||1150 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||Fiat Grande Punto R3D|
|R3T||Up to 1600cc||Turbocharged||Petrol||1150 kg||Two-wheel drive||2500 per year||WRC-3, JWRC||Citroën DS3 R3T|
|RC2||R4||Greater than 2000cc||Turbocharged||Petrol||1300 kg||Four-wheel drive||n/a1||WRC-2||Subaru Impreza R4|
|R5||1600cc||Turbocharged||Petrol||1230 kg||Four-wheel drive||TBA||Peugeot 208|
|RGT||No limit||Turbocharged or supercharged||Petrol||TBA||Two-wheel drive||TBA||R-GT Cup2||Lotus Exige R-GT|
- ^1 — The R4 class is for cars competing under Group N regulations for production cars prior to 2013. No new cars will be homologated under Group N regulations, and the R4 category will be gradually phased out.
- ^2 — Until 2014 there was no specific championship for cars entered under RGT regulations, and RGT cars were ineligible to score points in any exsiting championship outside the World Rally Championship. The FIA R-GT Cup for RGT cars will start from 2015 sharing some events from the WRC and ERC events.
- "Specific regulations for cars in Groups R" (PDF). FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 19 May 2012. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Elizalde, Pablo (13 August 2012). "Toyota unveils entry-level WRC Yaris". Autosport.com (Haymarket Publications). Retrieved 23 August 2012.
Toyota said the car will be able to compete in the World Rally Championship under the R1A regulations once it is homologated by the FIA before the end of the year.
- "Specific Regulations for GT Production Cars" (PDF). FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 19 May 2012. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Paur, Jason (23 December 2011). "Lotus Shakes Down Its Rally-Spec Exige". Autopia (Wired). Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Holmes, Martin (19 December 2011), The Return of the Rallying Sports Car, retrieved 23 August 2012
- "Exciting changes for 2013 WRC". WRC.com. WRC Official Website. 21 Sep 2012. Retrieved 1 Oct 2012.
- "Junior WRC is where it's at, says top rally man". WRC.com. 6 December 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "81e Rallye Monte Carlo 2013 Entry List" (PDF). rallye-magazin.de. Monte Carlo Rally. 20 December 2012. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Article 260 (2014) - Specific Regulations for Group R Cars - published on 11.04.2014" (PDF). fia.com. Federation Internationale de l'automobile. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "WRC welcomes FIA R-GT Cup". WRC.com (World Rally Championship). 29 September 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- Fernischumi (3 April 2013). "Las categorías de los rallyes: Grupo N, RGT, R4, R3, R2 y R1 (2/2)".
- "Citroen DS3 R3 rally car for FIA Group R3T regulations". Paultan.org.
- Carlos Argüelles-Meres Cueto. "El Renault Clio R3T progresa adecuadamente".