|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Region or state||Sumatra|
|Serving temperature||Hot and room temperature|
|16x16px Cookbook:Gulai 16x16px Gulai|
Gulai is a type of food containing rich, spicy and succulent curry-like sauce commonly found in Indonesia and Malaysia. The main ingredients might be poultry, beef, mutton, various kinds of offals, fish and seafoods, and also vegetables such as cassava leafs and unripe jackfruit. The gulai sauces commonly have a thick consistency with yellowish color because of the addition of ground turmeric. Gulai sauce ingredients consist of rich spices such as turmeric, coriander, black pepper, galangal, ginger, chilli pepper, shallot, garlic, fennel, lemongrass, cinnamon and caraway, ground into paste and cooked in coconut milk with the main ingredients. Gulai is often described as an Indonesian type of curry, although Indonesian cuisine also recognize kari or kare (curry).
Gulai is originated in Sumatra, Indonesia and is thought to be the local adaptation of Indian curry, developed and derived from Indian influence on Indonesian cuisine. The dish is popular and widely served in the Indonesian archipelago, especially in Sumatra, Java and also Malay peninsula and Borneo. The thick and yellowish gulai sauce is one of the most common sauces in Minangkabau cuisine, to gave a rich and spicy taste to meats, fish, or vegetables. The gulai sauce found in Minangkabau, Aceh, and Malay cuisine usually has a thicker consistency, while the gulai in Java is thinner, served in soup-like dishes containing pieces of mutton, beef or offal.
Some variations of Indonesian gulai according to its ingredients:
Fish and sea food
- "Resep Gulai Ayam" (in Indonesian). Resep Masakan Indonesia. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Lilly T. Erwin. "Aroma Rasa Kuliner Indonesia: Sajian Gulai (Indonesian Culinary: Gulai (Curry))". Gramedia International. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Resepi Gulai Telur Itik" (in Malay). MyResipi. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Gulai Kambing" (in Indonesian). Kompas.com. August 17, 2008. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Red snapper's head gulai recipe Invalid language code.
- Goat meat gulai recipe Invalid language code.