H. Robert Horvitz
|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|H. Robert Horvitz|
Howard Robert Horvitz|
May 8, 1947
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
|Notable students||Cornelia Bargmann|
|Known for||Apoptosis research|
NAS Award in Molecular Biology (1988)|
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (2002)
Gruber Prize in Genetics (2002)
Wiley Prize (2002)
Horvitz was born in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Mary R. (Savit), a school teacher, and Oscar Freedom Horvitz, a GAO accountant. He did his undergraduate studies at MIT in 1968, where he joined Alpha Epsilon Pi. He obtained his PhD in Biology from Harvard University in 1974.
He is currently at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he is Professor of Biology and a member of the McGovern Institute for Brain Research. He is also an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
He currently serves as the chair of the board of trustees for Society for Science & the Public.
- Spencer Award in Neurobiology
- 1988 U.S. Steel Foundation Award in Molecular Biology
- 1991 He became a member of U.S. National Academy of Sciences
- 1993 V.D. Mattia Award (Roche Institute of Molecular Biology)
- 1994 Hans Sigrist Award
- 1995 Charles A. Dana Award
- 1996 Ciba-Drew Award for Biomedical Science
- 1998 Rosenstiel Award
- 1998 Pasano Award for the Advancement of Medical Science
- 1998 General Motors Research Foundation, Alfred P. Sloan, Jr. Prize
- 1999 Gairdner Foundation International Award
- 2000 Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize
- 2000 Segerfalk Award
- 2000 arch of Dimes Prize in Developmental Biology
- 2000 Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize for Biology or Biochemistry
- 2000 Charles-Leopold Mayer Prize (French Academy of Sciences)
- 2001 Bristol -Myers Squibb Award for Distinguished Achievement in Neuroscience
- 2001 Genetics Society of American Medal
- 2002 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Sydney Brenner and John Sulston
- Les Prix Nobel - Nobelstiftelsen - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "USA Science and Engineering Festival - Advisors". Usasciencefestival.org. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- H. Robert Horvitz - Investigator page at HHMI
- H. Robert Horvitz - Curriculum Vitae
- H. Robert Horvitz - Autobiography
- H. Robert Horvitz's short talk: "Discovering Programmed Cell Death"
- H. Robert Horvitz's short talk: "When Stockholm Called"
- H. Robert Horvitz - US Patents
- The Official Site of Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.