HMCS Fredericton (FFH 337)
HMCS Fredericton (FFH 337) is a [[Halifax-class frigate #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Halifax-class frigate]] that has served in the Canadian Forces since 1994. Fredericton is the eighth ship in her class which is based on the Canadian Patrol Frigate Project. She is the second vessel to carry the designation HMCS Fredericton.
Fredericton was laid down on 25 April 1992 at Saint John Shipbuilding Ltd., Saint John and launched on 26 June 1993. She was officially commissioned into the CF on 10 September 1994 and carries the hull classification symbol 337. On 6 October 2011, Fredericton was turned over to Irving Shipbuilding's Halifax Ship Yards, to start a mid-life upgrading and modernization. Fredericton was returned to CFB Halifax Dockyard on 24 January 2013.
As of 23 May 2014 Fredericton has been commanded by Commander Jeffrey Murray.
Fredericton has also participated in several NATO missions, patrolling the Atlantic Ocean as part of Standing Naval Force Atlantic (STANAVFORLANT) and its successor Standing NATO Response Force Maritime Group 1 (SNMG1).
A fire broke out in the forward engine room of the frigate on 6 May 2009. The fire was suppressed within a few minutes and the ship made a brief stop at the home base of Halifax before being given the all-clear to return to sea.
Fredericton departed Halifax, Nova Scotia on 25 October 2009 to commence her transit to the Gulf of Aden, northern Arabian Sea and Gulf of Oman. She integrated into SNMG1 in November 2009 and remained with SNMG1 until February 2010 conducting counter-piracy patrols in the Gulf of Aden and Somali Basin. Following a Rest and Maintenance Period (RAMP), the vessel integrated into Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150) to conduct counter-terror patrols in the Gulf of Aden and Gulf of Oman. The ship sailed from Halifax with a complement of approximately 250 officers and crew, including a CH-124 Sea King helicopter and air detachment. Fredericton returned home on 4 May 2010, the 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Navy.
On 18 November 2010, Fredericton briefly came into contact with USNS Kanawha during a replenishment-at-sea manoeuvre off the coast of Florida. There were no injuries, but both ships suffered superficial damage consisting of scrapes and dents on both hulls.
Refit and modernization
Fredericton began her Frigate Equipment Life Extension (FELEX) refit in October 2011. The ship 's refit was complete in January 2013. She completed readiness work-ups (WUPs) in September 2014. Following its refit, Fredericton was deployed to the Mediterranean Sea as part of Operation Reassurance on 30 December 2014. The frigate joined Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2) in the Black Sea in March 2015 for training exercises. As part of SNMG2, Fredericton took part in Exercise "Joint Warrior", a training exercise off the coast of the United Kingdom in April 2015.
- Commanding Officer - Cdr Jeffrey Murray
- Executive Officer - LCdr Jonathan Kouwenberg
- Coxswain - CPO1 Stephen Murphy
Cdr D.J. Gallina 20 September 1993 – 20 August 1995
Cdr K.D.W. Laing 20 August 1995 – 30 May 1997
Cdr G.D. Switzer 30 May 1997 – 3 May 1999
Cdr. P.C. Avis 3 May 1999 – 15 July 2001
Cdr B. Ryan 15 July 2001 – 11 January 2002
Cdr H.T. Harsch 11 January 2002 – 29 August 2003
Cdr J.F. Newton 29 August 2003 – 30 December 2005
Cdr G. Couturier 30 December 2005 – 20 June 2007
Cdr J.R. Auchterlonie 20 June 2007 – January 2009
Cdr S.M. Waddell January 2009 – 10 June 2010
Cdr J. Zorz 10 June 2010 – 27 July 2011
Cdr A. Wamback 27 July 2011 – 12 July 2012
Cdr. J.S. Salt 12 July 2012 - 23 May 2014
Cdr. J. Murray 23 May 2014 - Present
Lineage - Fredericton
First of Name HMCS Fredericton (K245) Corvette, Revised Flower Class Commissioned 8 December 1941 Paid off 9 July 1945
Second of Name This is the current ship with the name Fredericton
- "South-West Asia Theatre Honours". Prime Minister of Canada. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Navy assessing damage after fire aboard frigate". CBC News. 7 May 2009. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "HMCS Fredericton slightly damaged in accident". CBC. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "Halifax-class Modernization / Frigate Life Extension". National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces. 4 July 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Bravo Zulu to crew of HMCS Fredericton". Defense Watch. Ottawa Citizen. 16 September 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- Pugliese, David (29 December 2014). "HMCS Fredericton leaves Tuesday for Op Reassurance". Defense Watch (Ottawa Citizen). Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Pugliese, David (5 March 2015). "HMCS Fredericton now in the Black Sea". Defense Watch (Ottawa Citizen). Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Pugliese, David (12 April 2015). "HMCS Fredericton along with RCAF Auroras to take part in multinational exercise". Defence Watch (Ottawa Citizen). Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Frigates - Command Teams". Royal Canadian Navy. Government of Canada. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.