HMCS Toronto (FFH 333)
Toronto was laid down on 22 April 1989 at Saint John Shipbuilding Ltd., Saint John and launched on 18 December 1990. She was commissioned into the Canadian Forces on 29 July 1993 and carries the hull classification symbol 333. Toronto is the fourth ship in her class which is the name for the Canadian Patrol Frigate Project. She is the second vessel (and frigate) to carry the designation HMCS Toronto.
When not on operations she is assigned to Maritime Forces Atlantic (MARLANT) and is based at CFB Halifax. Toronto serves on MARLANT missions protecting Canada's sovereignty in the Atlantic Ocean and enforcing Canadian laws in its territorial sea and Exclusive Economic Zone. HMCS Toronto participated in Operation Artemis, commencing her first rotation (ROTO 2) in January 2013 and finishing in February 2014 (which included a crew swap in July 2013 [the first crew swap in RCN history since 1991]).
While relieving HMCS Regina in the Mediterranean Sea as part of Standing NATO Maritime Group 2, Toronto was reassigned to the Black Sea for Operation Reassurance in response to alleged Russian intervention in Central and Eastern Europe. It led Task Unit 2 (TU.02) and worked in concert with Spanish Navy frigate Almirante Juan de Borbón, and will operate with Romanian Navy frigate Regele Ferdinand and US Navy destroyer USS Ross as well as other vessels from Bulgaria, Georgia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
On 8 September 2014, Toronto was circled by two Russian Su-24 attack aircraft and a Russian surveillance plane in a provocative manner. In November 2014, six members of the crew helped fight a fire while on shore leave in Antalya, Turkey. While in the Mediterranean Sea, Toronto suffered a fire in its auxiliary machinery room on 25 December 2014. The fire was extinguished and all personnel affected by the smoke were treated and released. During the frigate's deployment, Toronto participated in three naval exercises and led Task Unit 02 while operating in the Black Sea. HMCS Fredericton relieved the ship in January 2015.
- HMCS Toronto (FFH 333) 1.jpg
- HMCS Toronto (inset).jpg
- HMCS Toronto (FFH 333) 2.jpg
- HMCS Toronto (FFH 333) 4.jpg
- HMCS Toronto (FFH 333).jpg
- Ships of Standing NATO Maritime Group 1.jpg
- "South-West Asia Theatre Honours". Prime Minister of Canada. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Metzger, SW/AW Julianna, Chief of Naval Operation Public Affairs (20 Feb 2015). "Canadian Warship to Receive Navy Meritorious Unit Award". Navy News Service. navy.mil (85661). Retrieved 20 Feb 2015.
- "HMCS Toronto will operate in the Black Sea during Operation Reassurance". Royal Canadian Navy. Government of Canada. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Russian military planes buzzed HMCS Toronto in Black Sea". CBC News. 8 September 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "HMCS Toronto crew members put out fire in Turkey after spotting burning building while dining on shore". National Post. 16 November 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Gorman, Michael (27 December 2014). "HMCS Toronto deals with minor on board fire on Christmas Day". The Chronicle Herald. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Pugliese, David (6 January 2015). "HMCS Fredericton arrives in Portugal, HMCS Toronto to be back in Canada in late January". Defence Watch (Ottawa Citizen). Retrieved 7 January 2015.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMCS Toronto (FFH 333).|