HMS Berry (K312)
HMS Berry (K312) was a [[Captain class frigate #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Captain-class]] frigate, built in the United States as a [[Evarts class destroyer escort #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Evarts-class]] destroyer escort, and transferred to the Royal Navy under the terms of Lend-Lease, which served in World War II. She was named after Rear Admiral Sir Edward Berry (1768-1831).
The name Berry was originally assigned to the Evarts-class destroyer escort, BDE-14, laid down on 28 February 1942. When that ship was retained by the United States Navy and renamed Doherty (DE-14), the name was transferred to another ship.
During World War II, HMS Berry operated in the Atlantic Ocean and the Bay of Biscay in 1943 and 1944. After the war, Berry was returned to the U.S. Navy at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on 2 February 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946, and she was sold to the North American Smelting Co., of Philadelphia. That firm took possession of her on 9 November 1946 and completed her scrapping on 4 November 1948.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery of HMS Berry at NavSource Naval History