|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
West Frankfort HS|
Missouri School of Mines
Southern Illinois (Asst.)
|Head coaching record|
Hodges' coaching career began at West Frankfort High School in West Frankfort, Illinois. In his 12 seasons at WFHS, Hodges' Redbirds won their regional tournament three times, their sectional tournament twice, and made it to the state championship four times. He spent one season as the head basketball and track coach at the Missouri School of Mines before returning to his alma mater, Southern Illinois as an assistant basketball and football coach. 
Hodges was hired at Murray State College in Murray, Kentucky, in the spring of 1948. His 1950–51 and 1951–52 teams finished the year ranked No. 16 in the years' end AP poll. His teams twice made the NAIA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament and was runner up in 1952. Two of Hodges' players at Murray State, Bennie Purcell and Garrett Beshear, received All-American honors. His overall record at Murray State was 109–66 (.623).
In May 1954, Hodges became head coach at the University of Idaho in the Pacific Coast Conference, replacing Chuck Finley, who departed after seven seasons for Mississippi Southern. His starting salary was $7,320, and in his five years in Moscow, Hodges had a 52–77 (.403) record with the Vandals and no tournament appearances. His best season was his fourth in 1957–58, when they were 17–9 (.654) and finished fourth in the PCC at 9–7. He resigned in late April 1959 to become a high school superintendent in Anna, Illinois.
- "Murray names new net coach". Kentucky New Era (Hopkinsville, KY). Associated Press. April 1, 1948. p. 11.
- "Idaho names Harlan Hodges as new cage coach". Spokane Daily Chronicle. May 8, 1954. p. 8.
- "The Coaches of Murray State". RacerHistory.com. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "Hodges to coach Idaho basketball". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. May 9, 1954. p. 1C.
- "Chuck Finley resigns as Idaho basketball boss". Spokane Daily Chronicle. March 29, 1954. p. 15.
- "Hodges to get $7320 salary". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Associated Press. May 21, 1954. p. 16.
- "Basketball". Gem of the Mountains, University of Idaho yearbook. 1958. pp. 145–157.
- "Hodges quits as Vandals' cage coach". Spokane Daily Chronicle. April 29, 1959. p. 21.
- "UI cage coach Harlan Hodges leaving to take Illinois post". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. April 30, 1959. p. 11.
- "Harlan Hodges – Basketball Coach, 1948-1953 (Deceased)". Murray State University Athletics. Retrieved March 6, 2014.