The Grade I Listed parish church is the oldest of the listed buildings in Harlington. The War Memorial was designed by C. O. Scott.
|OS grid reference|
|– Charing Cross|| Script error: No such module "convert". [[Boxing the compass#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.E]]
|Ceremonial county||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament|| [[London (European Parliament constituency)#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.London]]
|UK Parliament||Hayes and Harlington|
|London Assembly||Ealing and Hillingdon|
|primary |name= }} Harlington is a district of the London Borough of Hillingdon, on the northern perimeter of London Heathrow Airport. It is centred Script error: No such module "convert". west of Charing Cross. The district adjoins Hayes to the north and shares a railway station with the larger district, which is its post town, on the Great Western Main Line.
The place-name Harlington is recorded in Anglo-Saxon as Hygereding tun: "Hygerǣd's people's farmstead".
The earliest surviving mention of Harlington appears to be in a 9th-century charter in which land at Botwell in Hayes was said to be bounded on the west by "Hygeredington" and "Lullinges" tree. The first of these must be Harlington; the second has not been identified. The boundary between Hayes and Harlington, which may thus have been defined by the date of this charter, was later marked by North Hyde Road and Dawley Road, but Dawley Road may not have followed the boundary before the 18th century.
Dawley Court, Goulds Green, was home to four generations of the landed De Salis family, who also owned land outside of the parish and most of whom have monuments in the churchyard. It was demolished in 1929. From 1930 to 1965 Harlington formed part of Hayes and Harlington Urban District. The urban district council's cemetery in Cherry Lane was opened in 1936. Harlington was in Middlesex, until the county was abolished in 1965.
See the entry for Hayes for more detailed local history.
Harlington Library is towards the north of the village/district.
- Harlington Baptist Church, Middlesex, from the north-west, 2014.jpg
Harlington's Baptist Church, from the north-west, 2014.
- South portal & tympanum of the church of Saints Peter & Paul, Harlington.jpg
South portal and tympanum of the church of Saints Peter & Paul, Harlington.
- Underside of the famous yew in churchyard of church of S. Peter & S. Paul, Harlington, Middlesex, 2014.jpg
Underside of the famous yew in churchyard of church of S. Peter & S. Paul, Harlington, Middlesex, 2014.
- West end and tower of church of S. Peter & S. Paul, Harlington, Middlesex, 2014.jpg
West end and tower of church of S. Peter & S. Paul, Harlington, 2014. Fifteenth century, restored c. 1880 by John Oldrid Scott.
- West end of SS. Peter & Paul, Harlington, Middlesex, UK.jpg
West end of SS. Peter & Paul.
- Harlington War memorial, WWI side 2013.jpg
Harlington's war memorial, 1914-18 side.
- Detail of south portal of SS Peter & Paul, Harlington, Middlesex, 2013.jpg
Detail of south portal of SS Peter & Paul. (2013).
- Side view of the chancel, an obelisk and the war memorial of Church of S.S. Peter & Paul, Harlington, 2014.jpg
Side view of the chancel, an obelisk and the war memorial of Church of S.S. Peter & Paul, 2014.
- Tomb of Lady De Tabley.jpg
Grave of Catherina Barbara Warren, aka Lady De Tabley (d. 1869). Photo taken before 1881.
- Map of St Peter & St Paul C of E Church, Saint Peter's Way, UB3 5AB.
- Harlington Baptists, High Street, UB3 5DG.
- Captain Morgan's, 9 Clayton Road, UB3 1AX.
- The Great Western, Dawley Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB3 1NF
- The Pheasant, 98 West End Lane, UB3 5LX.
- The Red Lion, 287 High Street, UB3 5DG.
- The Wheatsheaf, 286 High Street, UB3 5DU.
- The White Hart, 158 High Street, UB3 5DP.
- Hellenic Imperial Airways has its United Kingdom offices in Axis House in Harlington.
- Harlington Locomotive Society on the High Street of the village - operates a trestle railway around the site of an old orchard.
- Harlington is covered by a community radio station: 91.8 Hayes FM, which is licensed with the national authority.
London is centred Script error: No such module "convert". east. The area its train station by the part of Harlington that is coterminous with larger Hayes to the north and by the following public transport.
- Elevation and Plan of Harlington, Harmondsworth and Cranford Cottage Hospital.jpg
Elevation and Plan of Harlington, Harmondsworth, and Cranford Cottage Hospital, as seen in the June 1913 report. (Design is 1884).
- Harlington, Harmondsworth and Cranford Cottage Hospital patient list 1912-1913.jpg
Harlington, Harmondsworth and Cranford Cottage Hospital's 1912-1913 patient list.
- Harlington, Harmondsworth and Cranford Cottage Hospital's 1909-1910 patient list.jpg
The Cottage Hospital's 1909-1910 patient list.
- Former Harlington, Cranford & Harmondsworth Cottage Hospital, 1884, view from west, 2014.jpg
Former Harlington, Cranford & Harmondsworth Cottage Hospital, 1884, view from the south-west, 2014.
- Committee of the Harlington, Harmondsworth and Cranford Cottage Hospital, Middlesex, c. 1913.jpg
Committee of the Cottage Hospital, 1913.
- Report of the Harlington, Harmondsworth and Cranford Cottage Hospital, June, 1913.jpg
|name||type||built||use and main features|
|Church of St. Peter & St. Paul||Religious||12th century||Christian faith centre.|
|Veysey's Farm||Farm||late 18th century||Mixed agricultural/nature|
|Shackle's Barn||Agricultural||early 1800s||Scouts headquarters|
|Barn at Manor Farm||Agricultural||Restored in the 1970s, used as offices, timber-framed|
|Small hospital (Sipson Lane)||Social||1884||Hindu faith centre.|
|Dower House (High Street)||House||16th century||Timber framed building|
|Harlington Baptist Church||Religious||1879||Christian faith centre.|
Former listed buildings in the parish
|name||type||built||demolished (exact or between dates)||use|
|Dawley Manor Farm||House||17th century||1962||M4 motorway and part of St Peter's Way|
|Shackle's House||House||early 1800s||1960-1970||Pembury Court (street)|
|Harlington rectory||House||Victorian||1970||Homes and the new church hall|
|Old Church Hall||Church hall||early 1900s||1970||Was in rectory grounds. Houses.|
|Bletchmore House||House||1970-1980||Bletchmore Close|
|Woodlands Farmhouse||House||1960-1965||178-182 High Street|
|Poplar House||House||18th century||1970-1975||Felbridge Court (apartments)|
Manor Farm was demolished between 1930 and 1940 and pre-dated the possibility of statutory listing. It is the site of shops in Manor Parade and adjoining residential roads.
across Heathrow Airport
across Heathrow Airport
- John Derby Allcroft, glove manufacturer and philanthropist. Lived at Harlington Lodge.
- English statesman Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington (1618-1685), part of Charles II's Cabal, was born in (and took his title from) Harlington. And his elder brother John Bennet, 1st Baron Ossulston
- Sports impresario Simon Clegg was born in Harlington
- Former professional footballer and football manager Paul Goddard was born in Harlington
- Rev. Count Henry Jerome de Salis, DD, FRS, appointed by his parents 'Game keeper of and for their said manor of Dally otherwise Dawley, near Hayes, Middlesex', from 13 June 1775.
- Jerome, 4th Count de Salis-Soglio (1771-1836), Anglo-Irish visionary, lived (and is buried) in Harlington
- Ovine scientist Eric Underwood (1905-1980) was born in Harlington
- Harlington and Harmondsworth, by Philip Sherwood, Tempus, Stroud, 2002.
- Victorian Harlington, Hayes and Harlington Local History Society, 1985.
- Susan Reynolds (ed.), A History of the County of Middlesex, vol. 3 (1962)
- "Contact Us." Hellenic Imperial Airways. Retrieved on 10 May 2011. "London / United Kingdom Hellenic Imperial Airways Axis House 242 Bath Road Harlington UB3 5AY"
- Grid Reference Finder distance tools
- Fane De Salis MSS.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Harlington.|