Hereford College of Education
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Hereford College of Education|
A large brick building with metal gates in front of it; a fence and some trees in the foreground.|
View of the entrance to the college as seen in 2008. The former Hereford College of Education's campus is now home to the Royal National College for the Blind.
|Type||Teacher training college|
|Location||Hereford, United Kingdom|
Hereford College of Education was a teacher training college in the English city of Hereford. The college was established in 1902 and was the only higher education institution in the county of Herefordshire throughout its existence. It provided training for teachers – initially two year courses leading to the Cerfificate in Education and later three-year courses. For much of its existence it was an all-female college. The college, which was a constituent college of the University of Birmingham, operated for many years before closing in 1977 after cost-cutting measures by the Government of the time which included a reduction in the number of teacher training programmes. The Government was also keen to restructure the way the subject was studied, encouraging universities to offer teacher training rather than specialist colleges. At the time of its closure the college was the oldest local education authority teacher training college in the United Kingdom. The campus, located in College Road, was taken over by the Royal National College for the Blind in 1978.
- "House of Commons Debate". Hansard 27 March 1975 vol 889 cc773-84 773. HM Government of the United Kingdom. 27 March 1975. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- RNC Armitage Hall.jpg
Halls of residence now known as Armitage Hall as seen in 2009. The building was originally built in the 1960s.
- RNC Campbell Hall.jpg
Halls of residence now known as Campbell Hall as seen in 2009. The building was originally built in the 1960s.