|Home: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|File:Home soundtrack cover.png|
|Soundtrack album by Rihanna and various artists|
|Released||March 23, 2015|
|Singles from Home: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
Home: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is the soundtrack album by Barbadian singer Rihanna and various artists for Home, a 2015 animation film based on the 2007 children book The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex. It was released on March 23, 2015 through Westbury Road and Roc Nation, making it her first release through both the labels. Following the announcement that Rihanna would star in the film, it was revealed she would release a concept album based on the animated film. As the executive producer of the soundtrack, Rihanna called on various artists to feature on the album including Clarence Coffee Jr., Kiesza, Charli XCX, Jacob Plant and Jennifer Lopez.
In June 2012, it was revealed that Rihanna would star as the lead role in the film Happy Smekday!, alongside American actor Jim Parsons. In September 2012, 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation announced that the movie will be released for November 26, 2014. In June 2013, the film was retitled from Happy Smekday! to Home. In 2014, Variety magazine reported that, in addition to her voice role, Rihanna created a concept album for the film which will be released on March 17, 2015. It was later revealed that the film's soundtrack would also include songs recorded by Charli XCX, Kiesza and Jennifer Lopez. In a statement for MTV News Rihanna said:
"I think music is important to every film. I think it sets the tone, in the moment. It creates the sensitivity, the suspense, no matter what film it is, especially in animation. I've had an incredible time making music for this film. I've worked really closely with Tim Johnson, the director, just to make sure that lyrically, and musically the songs were matching exactly what he needed — what he needed the audience to feel in that moment."
In July 2014 singer song-writer Kiesza announced that Rihanna had record two or three of her songs for the album but was unsure if they would appear on the final project. In September 2014, Rihanna was recording in New York City in which she was working with frequent collaborator Ester Dean.
"Towards the Sun" performed by Rihanna, is a mid-tempo pop ballad with R&B influences that features "pounding" drums, sing-along lyrics, "gigantic" chorus, "layered harmonies", "swirling effects" and uplifting, positive lyrics. Madison Vain of Entertainment Weekly opined that the song is "anthemic" and more "whispier" than Rihanna's previous singles. According to Brittany Spanos of Rolling Stone the song is more optimistic and positive than her previous singles and albums which could be heard in the lines, "Turn your face towards the sun. Let the shadows fall behind you."
Another song performed by Rihanna; "Dancing in the Dark" is a dance-pop song with a length of three minutes and forty-three seconds. The track is an up-tempo "poppy-number" that features "enough backdrop of saccharine synths and snap beats". Rolling Stone's Jon Blistein linked "Dancing in the Dark"'s chorus to the one of Whitney Houston's 1987 single "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)". He also wrote that the song has a "wubby bass groove" that could feature American actress Courtney Cox dancing to it in its potential music video, a reference to her appearance in the video for Bruce Springsteen's 1984 single with the same name.
Jennfer Lopez's song, "Feel the Light" is an "uplifting" and "tender" ballad with a length of four minutes and fifty-two seconds. During the last of it, Lopez sings the lines, "Feel the light shining in the dark of night / Remember what we forgot / I know it's a longshot / But we're bringing it all back".
"Towards the Sun" was written by Tiago Carvalho, Gary Go, and Rihanna. Scott Mills premiered the song on BBC Radio 1 on February 24, 2015 and it was made available for digital download the same day via the iTunes Store. The song was supposed to impact U.S. Top 40/Mainstream radio on March 17, 2015, however, its release was cancelled at the last minute. Upon release it received generally positive reviews from music critics who praised its lyrics, production, chorus and Rihanna's vocals. Commercially the song was a moderate success on charts peaking at seventy six on the UK Singles Chart and twenty two on the French singles chart.
Following "Towards the Sun", "Feel the Light" was digitally released as the second single from the soundtrack on February 25 via the iTunes Store. On February 24, a lyric video of "Feel the Light" was posted on YouTube via the DreamWorks Animation official channel. The video features Lopez in a studio while recording the song while the footage being intercut with scenes from Home. MTV UK's Michael Pell noted, "is a heart-felt ballad with the video taking us through a magical journey of friendship between the wee girl and her alien pal." On March 3, 2015, Lopez teased the song's official music video, posting images from the shoot on her Instagram account. The images showed Lopez wearing a white suit, standing in front of a green screen and sporting a braid. Erin Strecker of Billboard wrote "Naturally, the shoot appears to be quite intergalactic".
|1.||"Towards the Sun" (performed by Rihanna)||4:33|
|2.||"Run to Me" (performed by Clarence Coffee Jr.)||Stereotypes||4:14|
|3.||"Cannonball" (performed by Kiesza)||3:57|
|4.||"As Real as You and Me" (performed by Rihanna)||3:40|
|5.||"Red Balloon" (performed by Charli XCX)||Stargate||3:26|
|6.||"Dancing in the Dark" (performed by Rihanna)||
|7.||"Drop That" (performed by Jacob Plant)||Plant||4:17|
|8.||"Feel the Light" (performed by Jennifer Lopez)||
Executive music producers
Executive in charge of music for DreamWorks Animation
- Sunny Park
Business and legal affairs
DreamWorks Animation music department
Director of music
Music business affairs
All songs mastered by Chris Gehringer at Sterling Sound, NYC
|Chart (2015)|| Peak|
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||72|
|UK Soundtrack Albums (OCC)||4|
|Canada||March 23, 2015||Digital download||
|Australia||March 24, 2015||Digital download|||
|Germany||March 27, 2015||CD|||
- DreamWorks Animation (September 9, 2012). "New Distributor Twentieth Century Fox Unveils DreamWorks Animation's Release Slate Through 2016". DreamWorks Animation. Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- "Movie Title Changes". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Graser, Marc (February 25, 2014). "Rihanna to Make Concept Album for Upcoming Animated Movie". Variety. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- Vain, Madison (February 24, 2015). "Hear Rihanna's 'Towards the Sun' from the movie Home". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Bell, Crystall (March 5, 2015). "Here's Your Exclusive First Listen Of Rihanna’s New Song 'Dancing In The Dark'". MTV News. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Hendricks, Jaclyn (February 24, 2015). "Rihanna drops new song, 'Towards the Sun'". New York Post. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Spanos, Brittany (February 24, 2015). "Rihanna Looks 'Towards the Sun' in New Song for Animated Film". Rolling Stone. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Welsh, Daniel (February 24, 2015). "Rihanna's New Song 'Towards The Sun': Five Things About Her New Track, Taken From The 'Home' Soundtrack". The Huffington Post UK. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Hughes, Josiah (February 24, 2015). "Rihanna 'Towards the Sun'". Exclaim!. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- Sultz, Colin (March 19, 2015). "Listen to Rihanna's Two New Songs From the 'Home' Soundtrack". Billboard. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- Adams, Gregory (March 19, 2015). "'As Real As You and Me' / 'Dancing in the Dark'". Exclaim!. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "New Music: Jennifer Lopez - 'Feel the Light'". Rap-Up. February 25, 2015. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Trendell, Andrew (February 24, 2015). "Rihanna returns with new single 'Towards The Sun'". Gigwise. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Music — Towards the Sun (From The 'Home' Soundtrack) - Single by Rihanna". iTunes Store (CA). Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Music — Feel the Light (From The 'Home' Soundtrack) - Single by Jennifer Lopez". iTunes Store (AU). Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Roth, Madeline (February 24, 2015). "Watch The Lyric Video For Jennifer Lopez’s New Song ‘Feel The Light’". MTV News. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Pell, Michael (February 24, 2015). "Exclusive! Watch Jennifer Lopez's Cute 'Feel The Light' Video". <span />MTV UK<span />. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Walker, John (March 4, 2015). "‘Feel The Light’ Of Jennifer Lopez’s Face In These New Video Teasers". <span />MTV News<span />. Viacom. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- Strecker, Erin (March 4, 2015). "Jennifer Lopez Is A Sexy Alien in 'Feel The Light' Teases". Billboard. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- Ryan, Gavin (March 28, 2015). "ARIA Albums: Spirit Of The Anzacs Hits No 1". Noise11. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Official Soundtrack Albums Chart Top 50 - 29-03-2015 - 04-04-2015". Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- "Music — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Various Artists". iTunes Store (CA). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Musik — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) von Various Artists" (in German). iTunes Store (DE). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Musica — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) di Various Artists" (in Italian). iTunes Store (IT). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Musica — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) de Various Artists" (in Spanish). iTunes Store (ES). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Music - Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Various Artist". iTunes Store (GB). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Home: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.
- "Music — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Various Artists". iTunes Store (US). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Amazon.com: Various Artists: Home: Music". Amazon.
- "Music — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Various Artists". iTunes Store (AU). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Musik — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) von Various Artists" (in German). iTunes Store (AT). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Music — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Various Artists". iTunes Store (NZ). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Musik — Home (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) von Various Artists" (in German). iTunes Store (CH). Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "Home:Musik" (in German). Amazon.com (DE). Retrieved March 22, 2015.