Houston and Texas Central Railway
|Houston and Texas Central Railway|
|Dates of operation||1856–1934|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Previous gauge||5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm)|
|20px||This section requires expansion. (January 2012)|
Ebenezer Allen, a man from Galveston, Texas, obtained the charter to establish a railroad company on March 11, 1848. A series of meetings about the establishment of the company occurred in Chappell Hill and Houston. In 1852, the Galveston and Red River Railway (G&RR) company became active.
The start of construction occurred on January 1, 1853, when Paul Bremond and Thomas William House broke ground in Houston. Track-laying of the 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) gauge railroad began in early 1856. On July 26, 1856, the track-laying reached the Script error: No such module "convert". point, at Cypress. The railroad company name changed from G&RR to H&TC on September 1, 1856. By April 22, 1861 the railroad construction had reached the Script error: No such module "convert". point at Millican. Because of the American Civil War, the railroad construction was halted. In 1867, with the Civil War over, construction resumed.
In 1867, the H&TC railroad company took control of the Washington County Railroad (1856–1868). That railroad consisted of Script error: No such module "convert". of railroad line between Brenham, Texas and Hempstead, Texas, which had been chartered in 1856 and completed in April 1861 with a gauge of 5 feet 6 inches. The H&TC extended the Washington County Railroad line to Austin. On December 25 (Christmas Day) 1871 the extension to Austin was completed.
In 1871, the railroad track of the original Houston & Central Texas Railway line appeared in Corsicana. In 1872 the original line extended to Dallas. In 1873 the original railroad line reached Red River City, where it connected with the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. This formed an all-railroad route from Texas to St. Louis, Missouri and the Eastern United States.
Warranty Deed, filed in Leon County, Texas on November 11, 1948 in Volume 170 Page 3, refers to a portion of the H.&T.C.R.R. within the John Fuller Survey, Abstract 272. It is near the defunct T.&B.V.R.R, Trinity and Brazos Valley Railroad, which is now operated by BNSF Railway, formerly Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad Company.
Impressions of 1891
- US-TX(1891) p830 HOUSTON RAILROAD DEPOT AT HOUSTON & TEXAS RAILROAD.jpg
Houston, H&TC Depot, (c. 1890)
- US-TX(1891) p819 CUTTING TIMBER ON THE LINE OF THE HOUSTON & TEXAS CENTRAL RAILROAD.jpg
Cutting timber at the Line of the H&TC
- US-TX(1891) p819 LUMBER MILL AT LINE OF HOUSTON & TEXAS CENTRAL RAILROAD.jpg
Lumber Mill at the Line of the H&TC
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.