Iain James Farquharson, more commonly known as Iain James or Sparx, is a singer, songwriter and vocal producer from Bristol, but based in London. He started as part of the British boyband Triple 8 in 2003 as their lead singer and known as Sparx. He left after the band had two Top 10 hits and was replaced by Stewart Macintosh in 2005. He has written a number of songs recorded by a great number of singing artists, plus writing many songs for reality television contestants from UK, Europe and Asia, and on two occasions for Eurovision Song Contest songs, including co-writing the winning song for Azerbaijan "Running Scared" by Eldar & Nigar in 2011.
He is also a vocal coach on the UK X Factor.
He was the lead singer of UK boy band Triple 8 (888) signed to Polydor records. He was known by his nickname "Sparx". The group had two successful singles: "Knockout" and "Give Me A Reason", which charted at numbers 8 and 9 respectively in the UK Singles Chart. The group parted company with their record label in 2004, leaving their album, Heavy W8, unreleased. Iain James Farquharson left in 2004, to be replaced as lead singer in 2005 by a new member Stewart Macintosh. before breaking up by the end of 2005.
Writing and production
After Triple 8, he concentrated on music writing and production. He has written for artists as diverse as Professor Green, Emeli Sandé, Craig David, Taio Cruz, The Overtones, Donnie Klang, and Korean boyband TVXQ (aka Tohoshinki). He has also written for successful acts from reality television competitions, including Little Mix, One Direction, Olly Murs and Leona Lewis
He co-wrote British number one "Read All About It" by Professor Green featuring Emeli Sandé, as well as Sandé's own version of the song which appears on her million selling album Our Version of Events, which broke a record set by the Beatles for longest unimpeded spell in the UK top 10.
Very notably, he wrote several songs on the album of Little Mix, the first ever British girlgroup whose album went straight into the top 5 in the US, including the UK Number 1 "Wings" and the critically lauded third place song "DNA".He wrote songs on their second album Salute, which didn't match DNA commercially, but was a massive critical success, and followed its predecessor in charting in the UK top 5 and US top 10 (it would have repeated DNA's 4th placing if compilations were not included in the US albums chart). He wrote the album's song Little Me with Little Mix and TMS.
Iain is also a respected vocal producer and has recorded many artists including Little Mix, Ella Henderson, One Direction & Pixie Lott
James co-wrote the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest winning song "Running Scared" by Eldar & Nigar, who were the first male-female duo to win the song contest since 1963. They were also the first Azeris to win the contest, winning in Düsseldorf in May 2011.
Songs he performed with Triple 8:
|"Give Me a Reason"||<center> 9|
Songs he wrote for Little Mix:
- Going Nowhere
- Make You Believe
- Stereo Soldier
- Little Me
- A Different Beat
- See Me Now
- They Just Don't Know You
Songs he wrote or co-wrote for various artists:
- A*M*E – Heartless
- Emeli Sandé – Read All About It (Part III)
- Olly Murs – Hand on Heart and Nothing Without You
- Leona Lewis - One More Sleep
- Clement Marfo & The Frontline – Champion
- Professor Green feat. Emeli Sandé – Read All About It
- Taio Cruz – World in Our Hands
- Wretch 32 feat. Ed Sheeran – Hush Little Baby
- Matt Cardle – Walking on Water
- One Direction – Na Na Na
- The Overtones – Second Last Chance
- Eldar & Nigar – Running Scared
- Blush – Fell in Love WIth A Song
- The Kenneth Bager Experience feat. Aloe Blacc – The Sound of Swing
- TMS feat. Jagga – I Need You
- Clement Marfo & The Frontline – Overtime
- Timothy James – Build You A House
- Diagram of the Heart – Did I?
- Donnie Klang – You're My Idol
- Craig David – Officially Yours
- TVXQ – Wrong Number
- LEGEND – Left Out
- "UK is Eurovision winner after all". M Magazine (Performing Rights Society). 19 May 2011.
- "Little Mix are making "magic" today". Popjustice. 20 April 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Ell/Nikki – Running Scared". Eurovision official website. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- McGowan, Eve (4 April 2011). "Kelli's biggest hit: Liberty X star is hoping to set a new record – with the sale of her £750,000 penthouse". Daily Mail.
- 365, Artists. "Iain James Discography". 365artists.com. Retrieved 29 May 2012.