Imtiaz Ali (director)
File:Imtiaz Ali at Horasis Global India Business Meeting 2012 crop.jpg|
Imtiaz Ali in 2012
16 June 1971|
|Occupation||Film director, writer, actor|
|Spouse(s)||Preety Ali (divorced)|
|Relatives||Arif Ali (brother)|
Imtiaz Ali (Urdu: امتیاز علی, Hindi: इम्तियाज़ अली) (born 16 June 1971) is an Indian film director and writer. He started his career with writing and directing t.v shows. He directed shows like Imtehaan, Nainaand Kurukshetra. In 2005 he made his directorial debut with Socha Na Tha, that did not do well. Then he earned critical and commercial success for his direction of Jab We Met (2007). Love Aaj Kal (2009) and Rockstar (2011) made him known amongst youngsters. His latest film Highway (2014) also earned a lot of critical acclaim.
Imtiaz Ali was born in Jamshedpur. He had his origins in Darbhanga, Bihar from a Muslim family. He was brought up in Patna and Jamshedpur. His father Mansoor Ali did irrigation jobs. As a child he would sometimes accompany him which gave Imtiaz a view of what was going on in the innards of India. He had his early education in St. Michael's High School, Patna and later in D.B.M.S. English School, Jamshedpur, He is the brother of director Arif Ali (who made his directional debut with the film Lekar Hum Deewana Dil).
In an interview with the Times of India he talks about his early influence of cinema:
My parents were still in Patna but I, along with my brother Arif, joined mid-term and stayed with my aunt at Karim Mansion (an old well-known building in Jamshedpur, where they had three cinema theatres, two of which were attached to the house). Even when I went to sleep, I had the sound of cinema in the background and since we lived there, I could go there whenever I wanted even though I was not allowed to. I had made friends with the projectionist and would see him changing reels and call him from his bidi break if the reel stopped in between. I was not studying and I failed. I was so self-conscious after that and for the first three days, I could just not go back to school. This whole embarrassment of failing and craning my neck down and avoiding my friends who had become my seniors, was difficult. Even though I had failed, my father never made me feel worse and was only there to always encourage me. It's after that, that I started applying myself and excelled in studies and sports and started doing theatre.
He attended Hindu College, University of Delhi, where he took part in college theater.He was very successful in college. He also started Ibtida, the dramatics society of the college. Thereafter he moved to Mumbai and did a diploma course from Xavier Institute of Communication.
Imtiaz began his career directing TV programs including Kurukshetra for Zee TV and Imtehaan for Star Plus. He moved on to Bollywood films. In 2005, he made his directorial debut with Socha Na Tha starring Abhay Deol and Ayesha Takia. Despite its box office failure, the film won critical acclaim.
His second film, Jab We Met, starred then real-life couple Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor, and became his first box office success. His Love Aaj Kal starred Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone, and emerged as his biggest commercial success to date. Ali's latest film Rockstar, starring Ranbir Kapoor, did well at the box office despite mixed reviews.
He has a production company called Window Seat Films. The first film under this banner is Highway starring Randeep Hooda and Alia Bhatt. His next film, Tamasha, stars Ranbir Kapoor and Deepika Padukone in the lead roles and has started filming as of July 9, 2014.
|2005||Socha Na Tha||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2007||Jab We Met||Yes||Yes||Filmfare Award for Best Dialogue|
|2009||Love Aaj Kal||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2014||Highway||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-produced with Sajid Nadiawala|
|2015||Tamasha||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-produced with Sajid Nadiawala|
- "I was an underachiever who lied to look better: Imtiaz Ali". The Times of India.
- "Chavanni Chap (चवन्नी चैप): जब वी वोट-इम्तियाज़ अली". Chavannichap.blogspot.com. 25 April 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "I'd like to give Jab We Met an overhaul: Imtiaz Ali". CNN-IBN. 6 June 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2011.
- khan, tabish. "I was an underachiever who lied to look better: Imtiaz Ali". The Times of India.
- "Director Imtiaz Ali started with TV". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- The Graduates – the Hindu College alumni Indian Express, Tuesday , 14 April 2009.
- Times interview The Times of India, 26 April 2009.
- "Talented Mr Ali". Sakshijuneja.com. 7 April 2006. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Imtiaz Ali separates from wife". TimesofIndia. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Imtiaz in no mood for sequels". IBNLive. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- Love Aaj Kal, a Smash Hit[dead link]
- "Ranbir, Deepika starrer Tamasha to go on floors on July 9". India Today. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).