The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) is the international governing body for the sport of athletics. It was founded on 17 July 1912 at its first congress in Stockholm, Sweden by representatives from 17 national athletics federations as the International Amateur Athletics Federation. Since October 1993, it has been headquartered in Monaco.
Beginning in 1982, the IAAF passed several amendments to its rules allowing athletes to receive compensation for participation in international athletics competitions. However, the IAAF retained the word "amateur" in its name until its 2001 Congress at which the IAAF's name was changed to its current form.
The IAAF's current president is Lamine Diack of Senegal. He became Acting President shortly after the death of the previous president, Primo Nebiolo of Italy in November 1999, and was elected President at the 2001 Congress.
Since the establishment of the IAAF, it has had five presidents:
The IAAF has a total of 212 member federations (it had been 213 but at the November 2010 meeting of the IAAF Council it was announced that the Netherlands Antilles would cease to exist independently) divided into 6 area associations.
- AAA ‚Äď Asian Athletics Association in Asia
- CAA ‚Äď Confederation of African Athletics in Africa
- CONSUDATLE ‚Äď Confederaci√≥n Sudamericana de Atletismo in South America
- EAA ‚Äď European Athletic Association in Europe
- NACACAA ‚Äď North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association in North America
- OAA ‚Äď Oceania Athletics Association in Oceania
- Senior (all the athletes over 20 years old) (age-group competition over age 35 has become the domain of World Masters Athletics)
- Junior (athletes aged 18 or 19 years on 31 December of the year of the competition)
- Youth (athletes aged 16 or 17 years on 31 December of the year of the competition)
Included in its charge are the standardization of timekeeping methods and world records. The IAAF also organizes many major athletics competitions worldwide, including:
World Athletics Series
- ‚Ä† = Formerly IAAF World Cup
IAAF Road Race Label Events
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).