Isadore Singer, 1977
April 24, 1924|
Detroit, Michigan, USA
University of Michigan|
University of Chicago
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
Richard L. Bishop|
|Known for||Atiyah–Singer index theorem|
Bôcher Memorial Prize (1969)|
National Medal of Science (1983)
Wigner Medal (1988)
Steele Prize (2000)
Abel Prize (2004)
Isadore Manuel Singer (born April 24, 1924) is an Institute Professor in the Department of Mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is noted for his work with Michael Atiyah proving the Atiyah–Singer index theorem in 1962, which paved the way for new interactions between pure mathematics and theoretical physics.
He was born in Detroit, Michigan, and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in 1944. After obtaining his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1948 and 1950 respectively, he taught at UCLA and MIT, where he has spent the majority of his career.
He was chair of the Committee of Science & Public Policy of the United States National Academy of Sciences, a member of the White House Science Council (1982–88), and on the Governing Board of the United States National Research Council (1995–99).
Awards and honors
Singer is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is a member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
Among the awards he has received are the Bôcher Memorial Prize (1969) and the Steele Prize for Lifetime Achievement (2000), both from the American Mathematical Society, the Eugene Wigner Medal (1988), the National Medal of Science (1983), the Abel Prize (2004, shared with Michael Atiyah), and the James Rhyne Killian Faculty Achievement Award from MIT (2005).
- Devlin, Keith (April 2004). "Abel Prize Awarded: The Mathematicians' Nobel". Devlin's Angle. Mathematical Association of America.
- MIT Maths Biography
- "Gruppe 1: Matematiske fag" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Isadore Singer". MIT Mathematics: People. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Isadore Singer", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Isadore Singer at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).