|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (January 2014)|
September 25, 1967|
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
Berardinelli was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey and spent his early childhood in Morristown, New Jersey. At 9, he relocated to the township of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Later he moved to Piscataway.
He attended the University of Pennsylvania from 1985 until 1990, obtaining both a Bachelor of Science and Master's degree in Electrical Engineering. After graduating he worked for Bellcore Company, now Telcordia Technologies, and spent the next 15 years working "in a variety of fields, including fiber optics, video testing, and software systems." In 2004, he married one of his longtime readers. In 2010 he announced that he and his wife were expecting their first child.
Starting in 1993, Berardinelli started publishing reviews in Usenet by reviewing Scent of a Woman. In 1997, he became a film critic. Berardinelli also writes ReelThoughts, a weblog. Roger Ebert referred to Berardinelli as "the best of the Web-based critics", and wrote a foreword for Berardinelli's book, Reelviews. Berardinelli was selected for membership in the Online Film Critics Society.
- Berardinelli, James (2003) ReelViews : The Ultimate Guide to the Best 1,000 Modern Movies on DVD and Video', ISBN 1-932112-06-5
- Berardinelli, James (2005) ReelViews 2: The Ultimate Guide to the Best 1,000 Modern Movies on DVD and Video, 2005 Edition, ISBN 1-932112-40-5
- Berardinelli, James. "1984", ReelThoughts, Reelviews.net, May 3, 2009.
- ReelThoughts FAQ #1 at his official website
- Robert Stevens (27 June 1997), "Amateur film reviewers take opinions to the Internet", Kansas City Star/ Los Angeles Times: 17,
James Berardinelli is not a professional movie reviewer, but he plays one on the Net. Log onto his Web site ReelViews, and you'll find 1,200 film reviews that the Piscataway, N.J., electrical engineer has written since he starting posting messages on Internet newsgroups in 1992.
- ReelThoughts FAQ #2 at his official website
- Berardinelli, James. "Art for Art's Sake", ReelThoughts, Reelviews.net, 25 April 2010.
- Jason Silverman (28 Feb 2004), "Invasion of the Web Film Critics", Wired, retrieved 2014-10-03
- "In Online World, Everyone Can Be A Critic", South Florida Sun-Sentinel / Los Angeles Times, June 17, 1997
- Ebert, Roger (9 February 2001). "Saving Silverman". Rogerebert.com. Chicago Sun-Times.
- "The Ebert Foreword". Reelviews. 13 April 2010.
- "Our Members". Online Film Critics Society. Archived from the original on 2014-07-03. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
|40x40px||Wikiquote has quotations related to: James Berardinelli|
- ReelViews: Movie Reviews and Criticism by James Berardinelli
- James Berardinelli's autobiography on Rotten Tomatoes
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).