Jane's Information Group
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2011)|
|Parent company||IHS Inc.|
|Founder||Fred T. Jane|
|Country of origin||England|
|Headquarters location||London, England|
|Publication types||Databases, books, periodicals|
|Nonfiction topics||Military, Defence, Aerospace, Transportation|
Jane's Information Group (often referred to as Jane's) is a British publishing company specialising in military, aerospace and transportation topics. It was acquired in 2007 by IHS Inc., and its open-source intelligence databases and publications continue to be produced under the IHS Jane's and IHS brands.
Jane's was founded in 1898 by Fred T. Jane who had begun sketching ships as an enthusiast naval artist while living in Portsmouth. This gradually developed into an encyclopaedic knowledge, culminating in the publishing of All the World's Fighting Ships (1898).
The company then gradually branched out into other arenas of military expertise. The books and trade magazines published by the company are often considered the de facto public source of information on warfare and transportation systems.
Based in London for most of its existence, Jane's Information group was acquired by IHS Inc. in June, 2007, having previously been owned by The Woodbridge Company and before that The Thomson Corporation for a number of years.
The company continues to provide open-source intelligence in the defence, security, aerospace and transportation sectors.
List of publications
- Jane's Aircraft Recognition Guide
- Jane's All the World's Aircraft
- Jane's Armour and Artillery
- Jane's Defence Industry News
- Jane's Fighting Ships
- Jane's Guns Recognition Guide
- Jane's High Speed Marine Transportation
- Jane's Infantry Weapons
- Jane's Military Communications 
- Jane's Urban Transport Systems
- Jane's Vintage Aircraft Recognition Guide
- Jane’s World’s Air Forces
- Jane's World Armies
- Jane's World Navies
- Jane's World Railways
- Jane's Special Forces Recognition Guide
- Jane's Defence Weekly
- Jane's International Defence Review
- Jane's Navy International
- Jane's Intelligence Review
- Jane's Intelligence Digest
- Jane's Defence Industry
- Jane's Airport Review
- Jane's Police Review (discontinued)
- Jane's Combat Simulations was a brand of computer flight simulator games produced, between 1996 and 2002, under license to Electronic Arts.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/j' not found.
- Brooks, Richard (1997). Fred T Jane: An Eccentric Visionary. Coulsdon, Surrey, England: Jane's Information Group. ISBN 0710617518.
- Press release (12 June 2007). "IHS Acquires Jane's Information Group –Move Creates Global Powerhouse for Aerospace, Defense and Security Insight and Analysis". IHS Inc. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- IHS Web site
- janes.com, company's official website