January 2011 Iraq suicide attacks
|January 2011 Iraq suicide attacks|
|Location||Baqubah, Karbala, and Tikrit, Iraq|
|Date||January 18–20, 2011 (UTC+03:00)|
|Car bombs, suicide bombing, shooting|
|Deaths||At least 137|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq (claimed; Tikrit attack)|
|Al-Qaeda in Iraq|
18 January attack
On 18 January 2011, a bomber killed 63 people and injured around 150 in the city of Tikrit. The bombing occurred near a police facility where several hundred people were gathered. The attack was blamed on a lack of security at the event; a local police official said that "[t]he security procedures weren't good. They did not meet the demands of such a gathering." A local councilman, Abdullah Jabara, said that the attack was the work of Al-Qaeda, and was intended "to shake the security in the province and to bring back instability to Tikrit."
19 January attacks
On 19 January, at least 15 people were killed in two attacks in the towns of Baqubah and Ghalbiyah, both located in the same region about Script error: No such module "convert". northeast of Baghdad. In the incident in Baqubah, the attacker reportedly fired on guards at a police building before driving an ambulance with explosives into the building, where the vehicle was blown up. This attack killed either 13 or 14 people, while injuring between 60 and 70. The building collapsed after the attack, burying survivors of the initial explosion. The bombing was estimated to have used Script error: No such module "convert". of explosives and left a crater Script error: No such module "convert". in diameter.
In Ghalbiyah, a suicide bomber killed two people and injured 15 out of a crowd marching from Baghdad to Karbala, a holy city. An official from the Diyala Governorate and three of his bodyguards were wounded in this incident.
20 January attacks
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/i' not found. 24 January 2011 Iraq bombings
- Leland, John (24 January 2011). "Bombings Continue Campaign Against Shiite Pilgrims in Karbala". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Sly, Liz (18 January 2011). "Suicide bomber kills dozens in Tikrit". The Washington Post.
- "Iraq's security forces targeted in two attacks". Christian Science Monitor. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- Sly, Liz (19 January 2011). "At least 15 killed in third straight day of suicide attacks in Iraq". The Washington Post. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "Baquba ambulance suicide bomber targets Iraq police". BBC News Online. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- Leland, John (19 January 2011). "Insurgents Renew Attacks on Iraqi Security Troops". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "Karbala car bombs kill dozens during Shia festival". BBC News Online. 20 January 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Officials: Toll rises to 56 in Iraqi pilgrim blast". The Washington Post. 21 January 2011. Retrieved 21 January 2011.[dead link]