Jimmy Nelson (baseball)
Nelson with the Milwaukee Brewers
Milwaukee Brewers – No. 52
Born: June 5, 1989|
|September 6, 2013 for the Milwaukee Brewers|
(through May 30, 2015)
|Earned run average||4.19|
Nelson was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 39th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of the Niceville High School in Niceville, Florida, but did not sign and attended the University of Alabama. He was then drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the second round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft.
Nelson started the 2013 season with the Double-A Huntsville Stars. He was promoted to the Triple-A Nashville Sounds on June 5. He was promoted to the majors on September 3, made his debut on September 6, and made his first major league start on September 28.
Prior to the 2014 season, Nelson was rated the Brewers' top prospect and 96th best prospect in baseball by Baseball America. Nelson began 2014 back at Triple-A Nashville, and dominated the Pacific Coast League to the tune of a 10-2 record, 1.46 ERA, and 114 strikeouts. Nelson was even named 2014 PCL Pitcher of the Year. He made one spot start for Milwaukee against the Miami Marlins due to a minor injury suffered by Yovani Gallardo on May 25, and recorded his first major league win, pitching 5 and 2/3 scoreless innings with 3 walks and 6 strikeouts.
On July 10, Nelson was recalled again to join the starting rotation in place of the home run-prone Marco Estrada. He got his first career base hit during his July 17 start.
Nelson throws four pitches. He relies primarily on his Sinker (95 mph), Fourseam Fastball (94 mph) and Slider (84 mph). He also rarely throws a Change (88 mph).
- Alabama baseball stays hot, as does 'matured' pitcher Jimmy Nelson
- Ex-Alabama standout Jimmy Nelson will be Huntsville Stars' opening day pitcher
- Brewers Send Jimmy Nelson Out Of Huntsville
- Haudricourt, Tom (July 28, 2014). "In-game blog: Brewers blanked by Mets, 2-0". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Jimmy Nelson
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Alabama Crimson Tide bio