Joan Jett Blakk
|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
Joan Jett Blakk is the drag persona of performer Terence Smith. Smith is an African-American actor, writer and political candidate. Blakk first garnered a measure of national attention when he ran for President of the United States in 1992.
In 1991, Smith, as Blakk, ran against Richard M. Daley for the office of mayor of Chicago, Illinois. The campaign was chronicled in the 1991 video Drag in for Votes. Smith's next campaign was for the presidency in 1992, under the slogan "Lick Bush in '92!" and documented in the 1993 video of the same name. Smith also ran for president in 1996 with the slogan "Lick Slick Willie in '96!" In each of these campaigns Smith ran on the Queer Nation Party ticket.
Following the 1992 campaign, Smith relocated to San Francisco, California and joined the African-American stage comedy troupe Pomo Afro Homos. He launched his talk show, Late Nite with Joan Jett Blakk.
In 1999, Smith, again as Blakk, announced his intention to run for mayor of San Francisco against incumbent Willie Brown.
- Meyer, pp. 5-6
- Glasrud, p. 13
- Glasrud, Bruce A. (2010). African Americans and the Presidency: The Road to the White House. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 0-415-80391-8.
- Meyer, Moe (1994). The Politics and Poetics of Camp. Psychology Press. ISBN 0-415-08248-X.
- Joan Jett Blakk biography
- Terence Smith at Internet Movie Database
- Joan Jett Blakk at Internet Movie Database
- 1992 interview with Joan Jett Blakk
- Joan Jett Blakk photo gallery circa 1991
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.