Los Angeles Dodgers – No. 45
Born: January 21, 1990|
|April 14, 2012 for the San Diego Padres|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||5.31|
Joseph Andrew "Joe" Wieland (born January 21, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously pitched for the San Diego Padres.
Wieland was named Nevada State Player of the Year by the Las Vegas Review-Journal and the Reno Gazette-Journal while at Bishop Manogue High School in Reno, Nevada. He committed to playing college baseball at San Diego State.
Wieland was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the fourth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed with the Rangers and did not play for San Diego State. Wieland spent 2009 with the Class A Hickory Crawdads where he posted a 5.31 ERA in 19 games. He opened 2010 with the Crawdads, but an improved 3.34 ERA in 15 games earned him a promotion to the California League High-A Bakersfield Blaze in July. In 2011, Wieland started the year with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the Rangers' new High-A affiliate, and then graduated to Double-A in late June. On July 29, 2011, while pitching for the Frisco RoughRiders, Wieland threw a no-hitter against the San Antonio Missions, the Padres Double-A affiliate. Wieland had a 1.23 ERA in 7 starts for the RoughRiders.
San Diego Padres
On July 31, 2011, Wieland and Robbie Erlin were traded to the San Diego Padres for Mike Adams. He finished the year with the Double-A Missions, posting a 2.77 ERA in 5 starts. He had 8.7 strike-outs per 9 innings across all three clubs in 2011.
Wieland was called up to join the Padres' rotation when both Tim Stauffer and Dustin Moseley went on the disabled list early in the season. He made his Major League debut on April 14, 2012, against the Los Angeles Dodgers, allowing six runs in five innings to take the loss. Wieland made five starts for the Padres, losing four of them, and posted a 4.55 ERA before he went to the disabled list in May with shoulder tightness. He underwent a season-ending Tommy John surgery on July 27, 2012.
Wieland began the 2013 season on the 60-day disabled list as he was still recovering from the surgery. He began a throwing program at around mid-season but he suffered a number of setbacks due to soreness and a stress reaction and missed the entire season. He underwent arthroscopic surgery on his elbow at the start of the 2014 season did not make his return to the Padres on September 6, 2014. In four appearances for the Padres in 2014, he allowed nine runs in 11 innings. He finally picked up his first MLB win on September 24 against the Colorado Rockies.
Los Angeles Dodgers
On December 18, 2014, he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers (along with Yasmani Grandal and Zach Eflin) in exchange for Matt Kemp, Tim Federowicz and cash. He was assigned to the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers.
Wieland was called up to the Dodgers on May 6, 2015, to start a game against the Milwaukee Brewers. He allowed six runs in 42⁄3 innings and was promptly optioned back to AAA following the game.
Wieland throws from a three quarters angle with a repeatable delivery. He throws four pitches: a two seam and four seam fastball, a curveball and a rare changeup.
- "Joe Wieland Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 6, 2012.
- Center, Bill (July 31, 2011). "Padres trade Adams, Ludwick; keep Bell, Harang". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on August 1, 2011.
- Grant, Evan (July 29, 2011). "Rangers prospect Joe Wieland tosses no-hitter for Double-A Frisco". Texas Rangers Blog. Sports Day DFW. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Durrett, Richard (August 1, 2011). "Padres deal Mike Adams to Rangers". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Normandin, Marc (May 1, 2012). "The Future Starts Now For The Padres' Rotation". SBNation. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Center, Bill (April 14, 2012). "Pregame Preview: Wieland makes major league debut for Padres". U-T San Diego. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Acee, Kevin (May 9, 2012). "Wieland headed to DL as news just gets worse for Padres". U-T San Diego. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Center, Bill (July 17, 2012). "Wieland to undergo "Tommy John" surgery". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Sanders, Jeff (September 8, 2013). "Stress reaction behind Wieland's setbacks". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- "Padres acquire OF Matt Kemp". ESPN.com. December 18, 2014. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Hoornstra, J.P. (April 7, 2015). "Revealed: Opening Day roster for Triple-A Oklahoma City.". LA Daily News. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- Stephen, Eric (May 6, 2015). "Dodgers recall Joe Wieland, option Daniel Coulombe to Triple-A". SB Nation. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Stephen, Eric (May 7, 2014). "Dodgers recall Chris Heisey, option Joe Wieland to Triple-A Oklahoma City". SB Nation. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)