Boyd Hilton has claimed that "Pitt dominated the politics of his time and John Ehrman's three-volumes...dominate the historiography. It is hardly a biography, and indeed it is not clear that Pitt had an inner life to biographize, but it is a consummate account of the political ‘life and times’. The author's determination to deal with every episode in detail sometimes blurs the perspective, but readers can be assured that each topic has been thoroughly researched and that Ehrman's analysis is invariably judicious".
Ehrman married a daughter of Vice-Admiral Sir Geoffrey Blake.
- The Navy in the War of William III, 1689–1697 (Cambridge University Press, 1953).
- Cabinet Government and War, 1890–1940 (Cambridge University Press, 1958).
- The British Government and Commercial Negotiations with Europe 1783–1793 (Cambridge University Press, 1962).
- The Younger Pitt
- The Years of Acclaim (Constable, 1969).
- The Reluctant Transition (Constable, 1983).
- The Consuming Struggle (Constable, 1996).
- Boyd Hilton, A Mad, Bad, and Dangerous People? England. 1783-1846 (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2006), p. 705.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.