Barfield with the San Diego Padres
Born: December 17, 1982|
Barquisimeto, Lara, Venezuela
|April 3, 2006 for the San Diego Padres|
Last MLB appearance
|June 25, 2009 for the Cleveland Indians|
|Runs batted in||112|
Joshua LaRoy Barfield (born December 17, 1982) is a former American professional baseball second baseman. He is the son of former major league outfielder Jesse Barfield. Barfield was born in Venezuela during his mother's two-week winterball visit with his father. He attended Klein High School in Harris County, Texas and holds the District 5 single season home run record.
San Diego Padres
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year and
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, Baseball America listed him as the Padres' number one prospect. In
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, he fell to third in the organization behind pitcher Cesar Carrillo and catcher George Kottaras.
Barfield made his major league debut April 3, 2006, and collected his first career hit. His first major league home run came April 17, 2006, at Coors Field against the Colorado Rockies, a 431-foot solo shot to left-center field, off Jeff Francis.
On September 4, 2006, against the Rockies in PETCO Park, Barfield hit a walk-off home run, a three-run home run off Brian Fuentes that gave the Padres a 7–5 victory. He claimed that he had not hit a walk-off home run at any level of baseball prior to that.
Barfield began the 2007 season as the Indians everyday second baseman, but in August, after poor hitting, lost the job to Asdrúbal Cabrera. He finished 2007 with a .243 batting average, 3 home runs, and 53 RBI. Barfield entered spring training in 2008 as a utility player hopeful, but was ultimately optioned to Triple-A Buffalo.
Barfield was called up by Cleveland on June 9, 2008, to replace Cabrera, who was hitting a team low .184. At the time of his call-up, Barfield had an average of .255 with 5 homers and 21 RBI, respectively, for Buffalo. In his second game after being called up, he sprained a finger and was placed on the disabled list on June 12, 2008.
On August 11, 2009, Barfield was outrighted to Triple-A Columbus by the Indians and removed from their 40-man roster.
Second Stint with Padres
On February 19, 2010, Barfield signed a minor league contract with the San Diego Padres with an invite to spring training.
On March 21, 2012, he signed a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles.
- "Born to The Show". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
- "Player Profile: Josh Barfield". MLB.com. Retrieved 2007-11-03.
- "Josh Barfield Statistics". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 2007-11-03.
- Callis, Jim. "Top Ten Prospects: San Diego Padres". Baseball America. Retrieved 2007-11-03.
- Goldstein, Kevin. "Top Ten Prospects: San Diego Padres". Baseball America. Retrieved 2007-11-03.