K (Eighth Avenue Local)
|Eighth Avenue Local|
|Northern end||168th Street|
|Southern end||World Trade Center|
|Discontinued||December 10, 1988|
The K Eighth Avenue Local, earlier the AA, was a rapid transit service of the New York City Subway. Its route bullet was colored vivid blue on station signs, car rollsigns, and the official subway map since it ran on the IND Eighth Avenue Line.
The K operated during midday, evenings, and weekends, making all local stops between 168th Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan and World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan via Central Park West and Eighth Avenue in Manhattan. During late night hours, the A express made local stops on the IND Eighth Avenue Line. During rush hours, the C, formerly the CC, ran between Bedford Park Boulevard and Euclid Avenue, replacing the K as the local on Eighth Avenue.
Service as the AA
In this system, double letters represented locals. So this was the A local, AA from 168th Street to Chambers Street, beginning the same day as the A. The AA ran at all times, and was extended to 207th Street during nights and on Sunday when the A didn't run. When the subway was extended to Jay Street – MetroTech on February 1, 1933 the AA operated there too, at the same times, when the A didn't run, and terminated at Chambers Street when the A did run.
When C and E service began on July 1, 1933, the AA was suspended until the IND Sixth Avenue Line opened in 1940. Then it resumed non-rush hour and Saturday late afternoon through all day Sunday service to Chambers Street (Hudson Terminal platform, what we today call World Trade Center). Rush hours, the trains changed to the BB (later B) and switched over to the IND Sixth Avenue Line. This pattern was unchanged until the late 70's, when late night service was replaced by an all local A service.
Service as the K
In 1985, as part of the elimination of double letters, the AA was renamed the K. This service operated between 168th Street and World Trade Center during midday, evenings, and weekends. During late night hours, the A express made local stops on the Eighth Avenue Line. During rush hours, the C, formerly the CC, ran between Bedford Park Boulevard and Rockaway Park – Beach 116th Street, replacing the K as the local on Eighth Avenue.
The K last ran on December 10, 1988, and the next day (December 11, 1988; the day where the New York City Subway would get several major service changes), the C was expanded from its rush-hour only service to include midday service between 145th Street and Euclid Avenue, early evening (until 21:00) service from 145th Street to World Trade Center, and weekend service matching the former K between 168th Street and World Trade Center. The B was also expanded to middays to match part of the former K.
The following table shows the lines used by the K service:
|IND Eighth Avenue Line||168th Street||World Trade Center||local|
For a more detailed station listing, see the articles on the lines listed above.
|Station service legend||Stops all times||Stops all times||Stops all times except late nights|| Stops all times except late nights
||Stops weekdays only|| Stops weekdays only
||Stops daily except rush hours in the peak direction|| Stops daily except rush hours in the peak direction
||Stops rush hours in peak direction only|| Stops weekdays in the peak direction only
||Time period details|
- NYCsubway.org - Historical Maps
- Hey, What's a "K" Train? MTA service notice, 1985
- Big Changes For Subways Are to Begin, New York Times December 9, 1988 page B1