Gausman with the Baltimore Orioles
Baltimore Orioles – No. 39
Born: January 6, 1991|
|May 23, 2013 for the Baltimore Orioles|
(through May 3, 2015)
|Earned run average||4.24|
The Los Angeles Dodgers selected Gausman in the sixth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft, but he did not sign. He attended Louisiana State University (LSU), where he played college baseball for the LSU Tigers baseball team. He was then drafted by the Baltimore Orioles fourth overall in the 2012 MLB Draft. He was an All-American in 2012 at LSU. He signed with the Orioles for $4.32 million on July 13, 2012.
Gausman started the 2013 season with the Double-A Bowie Baysox until the Orioles promoted him to the major leagues to make his debut in Toronto against the Blue Jays on May 23, 2013. In his debut against the Blue Jays, Gausman pitched five innings and allowed seven hits, four runs and two walks, also adding five strikeouts. Gausman picked up the loss as the Orioles fell 12-6 to the Blue Jays. On June 14, Gausman was optioned to the Triple-A Norfolk Tides. He was recalled on June 24. On June 28, Gausman earned his first Major League win, against the Yankees, pitching in relief of T. J. McFarland, going 4 1/3 innings, striking out four and allowing no walks and three hits. He was optioned back to Norfolk on July 10. He was again recalled from the Norfolk Tides on August 28, and earned his second big league win on September 1, also against the Yankees, but at Yankee Stadium.
On June 7, 2014, Gausman earned his first win as a starting pitcher, going 7 innings against the Oakland Athletics, allowing only 1 run, walking 1, and striking out 6. Following the best outing of his young career, Gausman pitched against the AL East leading Toronto Blue Jays where he went 6 Innings, again allowing 1 run and striking out three. In the 2014 postseason, Gausman pitched out of the bullpen for the Orioles.
Gausman throws five pitches, all with above average velocity: a four seam fastball at 96-99 MPH (tops out at 101), a sinker at 93-96, a slider at 83-86, a splitter at 84-86, and a change up at 84-89.
- "Baseball: Grandview grad Gausman grabbed 4th, Regis Jesuit pair also go in MLB Draft". Aurora Sentinel. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Orioles select RHP Kevin Gausman in first round of draft". Baltimore Orioles. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "LSU baseball's Raph Rhymes, Kevin Gausman named to Collegiate Baseball All-America team". NOLA.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Orioles ink first-round Draft pick Gausman". Baltimore Orioles. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Baltimore Sun (May 22, 2013). "Orioles to call up Kevin Gausman to make start Thursday in Toronto, sources say". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Baltimore Orioles vs. Toronto Blue Jays - Box Score - May 23, 2013 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Connolly, Dan (June 14, 2013). "Orioles option Kevin Gausman to Triple-A Norfolk". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Gleeman, Aaron (June 24, 2013). "Orioles recall Kevin Gausman, designate Freddy Garcia for assignment". Hardball Talk. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Orioles Buzz: Kevin Gausman trades doughnuts for pie after first win". MASNsports. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- "Player Card: Kevin Gausman". brooksbaseball.net. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kevin Gausman.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- LSU Tigers bio