Kevin O'Sullivan (baseball)
|Photograph depicts Florida Gators baseball coach Kevin O'Sullivan having a pitcher's mound conference with Gators pitcher and catcher.|
|Team||University of Florida|
|Conference||Southeastern Conference (SEC)|
December 27, 1968|
Goshen, New York
Florida Community College|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Florida Community College (Asst.)|
Florida Atlantic (Asst.)
Gulf Coast League Twins (Asst.)
|Accomplishments and honors|
SEC (2010, 2011, 2014)
SEC Tournament (2011, 2015)
SEC Coach of the Year (2010)
Baseball America Coach of the Year (2011)
Kevin Michael O'Sullivan (born December 27, 1968) is an American college baseball coach and former player. O'Sullivan is the current head coach of the Florida Gators baseball team of the University of Florida. O'Sullivan is best known for leading the Gators to three consecutive appearances in the College World Series.
O'Sullivan was a catcher during his college playing career. He played his freshman and sophomore seasons at Florida Community College in Jacksonville, Florida. After his sophomore year, he transferred to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he played for the Virginia Cavaliers baseball team during his junior and senior years and was a member of the 1991 ACC Baseball Tournament All-Tournament Team.
O'Sullivan graduated Florida Community College with an associate's degree in 1989, and the University of Virginia with a bachelor's degree in sports medicine in 1991. He later earned a master's degree in exercise science and wellness from Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Florida.
O'Sullivan accepted the baseball head coaching position at the University of Florida on June 13, 2007, replacing Pat McMahon after the Gators failed to receive an NCAA tournament bid in either 2006 or 2007. Florida is O'Sullivan's first head coaching job; he is the twenty-first head coach in the history of the Gators baseball program. He spent the previous nine seasons as an assistant coach for the Clemson Tigers baseball team of Clemson University under head coach Jack Leggett, first as the Tigers' pitching coach and recruiting coordinator, and later as Leggett's associate head coach. During his tenure at Clemson, twenty-nine of the pitchers he coached were selected in the MLB Draft.
In each of his four seasons coaching the Gators, O'Sullivan's teams have improved their overall win-loss record and Southeastern Conference (SEC) standing. In 2008, his first season as the Gators' skipper, the team finished 34–24 overall, 17–13 in SEC play, in second place in the SEC Eastern Division standings and third in the overall SEC standings. In 2009, the Gators compiled an overall record of 42–22, 19–11 in the SEC, in first place in the SEC East. O'Sullivan's 2010 Gators finished with an overall win-loss record of 47–17, 22–8 in SEC play, and SEC regular season champions. In each of his first three seasons, his Gators also showed post-season improvement, too: early elimination in the NCAA Regional in 2008; progressing to the NCAA Super Regional in 2009; and a berth in the College World Series in 2010.
In 2011, the Gators finished the regular season 41–15 overall, 22–8 in the SEC, and SEC regular season co-champions—sharing the regular season conference championship with the South Carolina Gamecocks and Vanderbilt Commodores. After winning the SEC tournament, O'Sullivan's Gators received the No. 2 seed in the 2011 NCAA tournament, and advanced to their second consecutive College World Series, ultimately finishing as the national runner-up.
O'Sullivan has also enjoyed unprecedented recruiting success: his 2009 recruiting class was ranked No. 1 in the country by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper and Baseball America. It was the first time in Gators baseball history that a recruiting class was ranked No. 1.
Through O'Sullivan's first four regular seasons as the Gators' head coach, his Gators teams have compiled the best conference win-loss record of 80–40 (.667), just ahead of the South Carolina Gamecocks (75–45) and Vanderbilt Commodores (65–51).
Head coaching record
- Florida Gators
- History of the University of Florida
- List of current NCAA Division I baseball coaches
- List of University of Virginia alumni
- University Athletic Association
- Virginia Cavaliers
- GatorZone.com, Baseball Coaching & Support Staff, Kevin O'Sullivan. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- Brandon Zimmerman, "UF Selects Baseball Coach," Gainesville Sun (June 13, 2007). Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- Pat Dooley, "O'Sullivan's travels led him to UF," The Gainesville Sun (June 3, 2011). Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Baseball Media Supplement, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 109 & 112 (2011). Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- Robbie Andreu, "Florida baseball claims share of SEC title with blowout," The Gainesville Sun (May 21, 2011). Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- "Florida draws Miami, Jacksonville and Manhattan in Gainesville," The Gainesville Sun (May 31, 2011). Retrieved May 31, 2011.
- Kevin Brockway, "Gators make it back to Omaha with comeback win over Bulldogs," The Gainesville Sun (June 12, 2011). Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Pat Dooley, "Gators' season ends with sweep by Gamecocks in title series," The Gainesville Sun (June 28, 2011). Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Florida Baseball Recruiting Class Ranked No. 1," GatorZone.com (September 17, 2009). Retrieved September 24, 2009.
- "Baseball America Names UF Recruiting Class No. 1," GatorZone.com (October 20, 2009). Retrieved October 20, 2009.