The Kneisel Quartet was a string quartet musical ensemble established in Boston, in the U.S. state of Massachusetts in 1885. It existed until 1917, and in its time became recognised as the leading string quartet in the United States. It also performed in Europe.
The personnel of the Kneisel quartet was as follows:
- Franz Kneisel (1885–1917)
- E. Fiedler (1885–1887)
- Otto Roth (1887–1899)
- Karl Ondriček (1899–1902)
- J. Theodorowicz (1902–1907)
- Julius Röntgen (1907–1912)
- Hans Letz (1912–1917)
- Louis Svećenski (1885–1917)
- Fritz Giese (1885–1889)
- Anton Hekking (1889–1891)
- Alwin Schroeder (1891–1907)
- Willem Willeke (1907–1917)
The Kneisel quartet was founded at the time when Franz Kneisel first arrived in Boston. Kneisel's training under Joseph Hellmesberger, Jr. no doubt gave an important stimulus to the decision. The quartet remained settled at Boston, performing at venues such as Chickering Hall, until 1903, when its operational base moved to New York. It ceased activity in 1917 owing to the high demand of teaching upon Kneisel's time. The farewell concert was given on 3 April 1917 in New York.
Charles Ives considered a certain performance by the Kneisel Quartet "effeminate", and he was inspired to write a more virile quartet, which became his String Quartet No. 2.
- A. Eaglefield-Hull, A Dictionary of Modern Music and Musicians (Dent, London 1924).
- Boston Globe, Dec. 1, 1889
- The Love Family Papers at Irving S. Gilmore Music Library, Yale University correspondence of Helen Love Scranton, secretary to Franz Kneisel.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.