L. J. Hoes
|L. J. Hoes|
Hoes with the Baltimore Orioles in 2013
Houston Astros – No. 0
Born: March 5, 1990|
|September 25, 2012 for the Baltimore Orioles|
(through 2014 Season)
|Runs batted in||21|
Jerome O'Bryan "L. J." Hoes (born March 5, 1990) is an American professional baseball outfielder for the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut with the Baltimore Orioles in 2012.
Hoes was born in Washington, DC, where he attended St. John's College High School. Hoes was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles as a second baseman in the third round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft.
Hoes was assigned to the GCL Orioles, where in 48 games, he hit .308 with 1 HR, 18 RBI and 10 SB. Hoes played 2009 with Single-A Delmarva, where in 119 games, he hit .260 with 2 HR, 7 RBI and 20 SB. Hoes spent most of 2010 with A-Advanced Frederick, but also had a rehab assignment with Low-A Aberdeen and a 3-game stint with Double-A Bowie. In 108 total games, he hit .290 with 4 HR, 50 RBI and 11 SB. After beginning 2011 with Frederick, Hoes was promoted to Bowie in late May. He was used mostly as an outfielder in Bowie, and has played in the outfield since then. In 136 total games, he hit .285 with 9 HR, 75 RBI and 20 SB.
Prior to the 2012 season, Hoes was ranked by Baseball America as the Orioles fifth best prospect. Hoes began the year in Bowie, but was promoted to Triple-A Norfolk in June. In 133 games before being called up, he hit .287 with 5 HR, 54 RBI and 20 SB.
Hoes was called up to the majors for the first time on September 11, 2012. He made his debut on September 25, where he came in as a pinch-runner. His first plate appearance, a groundout, came the next day as a pinch-hitter. After the season, he played for the Mesa Solar Sox, where in 19 games, he hit .257 with 4 SB.
Hoes began 2013 with Norfolk, where he played until he was recalled on July 28.
On July 31, 2013, Hoes was traded to the Houston Astros with Josh Hader for Bud Norris. He made his Astros debut that night, going 0–5 in an 11–0 win over the Orioles. Hoes had appeared in one game for the 2013 Orioles before the trade. He played in 46 more games with the Astros that year, hitting .287 with 1 HR and 10 RBI.
- "L.J. Hoes Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- "Hoes takes tour of familiar territory". Baltimore.orioles.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Zrebiec, Jeff (May 23, 2011). "Hoes gets promotion; a couple of other minor league notes". The Baltimore Sun.
- Lingo, Will (2012-01-09). "Baseball America Baltimore Orioles top 2012 prospects". Baseballamerica.com. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Locke, Ian (September 11, 2012). "2012 Season In Review". NorfolkTides.com.
- Connolly, Dan (September 11, 2012). "Orioles call up Hoes and Chavez; DFA Gregg and Adams". The Baltimore Sun. Articles.baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Gallen, Daniel (July 28, 2013). "Orioles' L.J. Hoes ready to contribute right away". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Twitter / astros: Roster Move: #Astros have recalled LHP Kevin Chapman from Triple-A OKC. OF L.J. Hoes has been optioned to OKC.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- L. J. Hoes on Twitter