Lake Lanier Islands
|This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2014)|
Lake Lanier Islands is a small group of islands on Lake Lanier, the largest lake in Georgia, located north of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The islands are a primary recreational destination for the Atlanta area.
The Lake Lanier islands were originally large hills near Gainesville. After the creation of Buford Dam and the flooding of part of the Chattahoochee River valley created Lake Lanier, the hills became the largest chain of islands in the lake.
In 1957, The US Army Corps of Engineers leased Lake Lanier Islands to the Georgia Department of State Parks, who partnered with the newly created Lake Lanier Islands Development Authority (LLIDA) in 1962 to manage and develop a recreational venue for the citizens of Georgia to enjoy. By 1974, Lake Lanier Islands celebrated its first year of operation with the debut of the Harbor Landing boat docks, as well as the campgrounds, stables, beaches, golf course, and Pine Isle Hotel. A water park opened on the islands in 1987. During this time the State of Georgia contracted with the KSL Corporation to take over the day-to-day management and operations of Lake Lanier Islands.
In August 2005, it was announced that local businessman Virgil Williams, through his venture, Lake Lanier Islands Management Company, had bought the Islands from the KSL corporation. He officially took control on August 26. The purchase was for 14.5 million, which did not include the actual land, only the resort. Since purchasing the resort, the KLL Corporation has worked to improve the islands. After nearly 30 years of operation the original Pine Isle Resort was demolished and replaced with a 5-star property in 2009.
Events held on the islands include annual Independence Day fireworks, on the lake, full moon parties, and "Magical Nights of Lights".