Born: November 1, 1907|
Died: February 9, 1987 (aged 79)|
San Diego, California
|April 18, 1929 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
Last MLB appearance
|September 26, 1942 for the Brooklyn Dodgers|
|Earned run average||3.44|
Career highlights and awards
Lawrence Herbert French (November 1, 1907 – February 9, 1987) was a starting pitcher in Major League Baseball who played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1929–1934), Chicago Cubs (1935–1941) and Brooklyn Dodgers (1941). A knuckleball specialist, French batted right-handed and threw left-handed. He was born in Visalia, California.
One author has described French as the best pitcher not in the Baseball Hall of Fame. In a 14-season career, French posted a 197–171 record with 1187 strikeouts and a 3.44 ERA in 3152.0 innings pitched, including 40 shutouts and 198 complete games.
1933 "shower game"
With his team leading the Boston Braves 8-0 in the ninth inning during their game on the 12th of July, reliever French figured he could duck out of the bullpen and hit the showers early. Little did he know as he was getting clean that the Braves had rallied to make the score 8-7. When the call came for French to pitch, he didn't even have time to rinse off. He put on his uniform and hustled out to the mound with soap trickling down his neck.
- 1935 World Series
- 1938 World Series
- 1941 World Series
- Record: 0-2, 10 SO, 3.00 ERA, and 15 innings in seven appearances
- National League All-Star (1940)
- 3-time won 18 games (1932–33, 1936)
- Led NL in starts (35, 1933)
- Twice led NL in shutouts (four, in 1935 and 1936)
- Bullock, Steven R. (2004). Playing for Their Nation: Baseball and the American Military during World War II. University of Nebraska Press. pp. 136–137. ISBN 0-8032-1337-9.
- Fulton, Bob (1999). Pirates treasures : facts · feats · firsts in Pittsburgh Pirates History. [Pittsburgh?]: Golden Goose Enterprises, Inc. p. 172. ISBN 9780967571508.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Baseball Library
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.