Leonard Erskine Hill
|Sir Leonard Erskine Hill|
2 June 1866|
Bruce Castle, Tottenham
30 March 1952 (aged 85)|
|Alma mater||Haileybury College, University College, London|
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
Sir Leonard Erskine Hill FRS (2 June 1866, Bruce Castle, Tottenham - 30 March 1952, Corton, Suffolk) was a British physiologist. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1900 and was knighted in 1930. One of his sons was the epidemiologist and statistician Austin Bradford Hill. His father was George Birkbeck Hill, the famous scholar and commentator on the works of Samuel Johnson, who at the time of his birth was head master of Bruce Castle School.
Hill's work on blood pressure led him to believe "the arterial pressure can be taken in man as rapidly, simply, and accurately as the temperature can be taken with the clinical thermometer". This work developed into the Hill's sign.
Hill was a distinguished watercolourist and also wrote children's stories. He was fond of the outdoor life, and went every day to bathe in a pond in Epping Forest at Loughton where he lived. He later moved to Hampstead.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/u' not found.
- Douglas, C. G. (1953). "Leonard Erskine Hill. 1866-1952". Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society 8 (22): 431–426. JSTOR 769221. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1953.0009.
- Hill, A. B.; Hill, B. (1968). "The life of Sir Leonard Erskine Hill FRS (1866-1952)". Proceedings of the Royal Society of Medicine 61 (3): 307–316. PMC 1902312. PMID 4868973.
- Acott, C. (1999). "JS Haldane, JBS Haldane, L Hill, and A Siebe: A brief resume of their lives.". South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society Journal 29 (3). ISSN 0813-1988. OCLC 16986801. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- Hill, L.; Barnard, H.; Sequeira, J. H. (1897). "The Effect of Venous Pressure on the Pulse". The Journal of physiology 21 (2–3): 147–159. PMC 1512990. PMID 16992380. doi:10.1113/jphysiol.1897.sp000648.
- Hill, L (1912). Caisson sickness, and the physiology of work in compressed air. London E. Arnold. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
- Wikisource logo Works written by or about Leonard Erskine Hill at Wikisource
- Chris Pond, The Buildings of Loughton and Notable people of the town [rev ed.2010]
- Royal Society election certificate
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.