Lionel Edmond Kochan (20 August 1922 – 25 September 2005) was a British historian, who before coming to academia worked in journalism and publishing. He was a doctoral student of Sir Charles Webster. His first post in 1959 was at Edinburgh University; he became Bearsted Reader in Jewish History at University of Warwick in 1969.
He was born in London into a secular Jewish family. His scholarly writing became increasingly concerned with Jewish history.
- Acton on History (1954)
- Russia and the Weimar Republic (1954)
- Pogrom: 10 November 1938 (1957)
- The Making of Modern Russia (1962)
- The Struggle for Germany 1914-45 (1963)
- Russia in Revolution 1890-1918 (1966)
- The Jews in Soviet Russia since 1917 (1970) editor
- The Russian Revolution (1970)
- The Jewish Family Album: The Life of a People in Photographs (1974) editor with Miriam Kochan
- The Jew and His History (1977)
- The Scapegoats: the Exodus of the Remnants of Polish Jewry (1979) with Josef Banas
- Jews, Idols and Messiahs: The Challenge from History (1990)
- The Jewish Renaissance and Some of Its Discontents (1992)
- Beyond the Graven Image: A Jewish View (1997)
- The Making of Western Jewry, 1600-1819 (2004)
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.