Through 1987, the College World Series was a pure double-elimination event. The format was changed in 1988, when the tournament was divided into two four-team double-elimination brackets, with the survivors of each bracket playing in a single championship game. The single-game championship was designed for network television, with the final game on CBS on Saturday afternoon.
In 2003, the tournament returned entirely to cable television on ESPN, which had been covering all of the other games of the CWS since 1982 (and a partial schedule since 1980). The championship final became a best-of-three series between the two bracket winners, with games scheduled for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday evenings. In the results shown here, Score indicates the score of the championship game(s) only.
The following is a list of the American television networks and announcers that have broadcast the College World Series.
Television By decade
Radio By decade
Basic television broadcaster overview
- 1980-1981 - ESPN (selected games of the CWS)
- 1982-1987 - ESPN (entire CWS)
- 1988-1990 - CBS (championship game); ESPN (remainder of CWS)
- 1991-2002 - CBS (championship game plus one game on first Saturday); ESPN (remainder of CWS)
- 2003–present - ESPN (entire CWS)
Note: ESPN aired some of these games on ESPN2
- ^ Decades of Success
- ^ Jun 14, 1994 - NBC used halftime to introduce Greg Gumbel as baseball All-Star host a day after he exited CBS via Oklahoma's College World Series triumph over Georgia Tech. Game 3 had a 15.0 overnight composite, way behind last year's 19.6 for Suns- Bulls triple overtime. NBC has Game 4 tomorrow night ...
- ^ Jun 9, 1989 - CBS' Thursday night NBA Finals telecast had a notable absentee: host Brent Musburger. Musburger left his NBA Finals chair - Pat O'Brien filled in - to go to Omaha to prepare for Saturday's College World Series baseball final. Musburger and CBS face the problem that, as Musburger ...
- ^ Jun 12, 1989 - CBS' College World Series title game. 5. NBC SportsWorld Sports Fantasy, Pazienza-Burgese fight. Hustle award: 1. ... CBS' College World Series coverage, with Musburger and Joe Morgan as announcers coupled with informative graphics and touching shots of Wichita State players ...
- ^ Jun 1, 1988 - "We've got a College World Series coming up," he said. Hardly incidentally, in terms of Fraser's standing in the baseball community, CBS-TV asked Fraser even before the regionals if he would do the color commentary for Brent Musburger's play-by-play on the College World Series final. ...
- ^ 1980 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ 1981 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ 1982 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ 1987 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ 1988 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ 1989 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ 1990 College World Series on ESPN
- ^ College World Series on ESPN2