List of immunologists
This is a list of notable immunologists.
- Edward Jenner (1749-1823), discovered that cowpox induces protection against smallpox
- Louis Pasteur (1822-1895), his experiments confirmed the germ theory of disease, he also created the first vaccine for rabies
- 1901 Emil Adolf von Behring (1854-1917), "for his serum therapy to treat diphtheria" (First ever Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine)
- 1908 Eli Metchnikoff (1845-1916) and Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915), "for study of the immune system"
- 1919 Jules Bordet (1870-1961), "for discovery of the complement system in the immune system"
- 1930 Karl Landsteiner (1868-1943), "for discovery of human blood types"
- 1960 Peter B. Medawar (1915-1987) and Frank Macfarlane Burnet (1899-1985), "for the discovery that the immune system of the fetus learns how to distinguish between self and non-self"
- 1972 Gerald Maurice Edelman (1929-) and Rodney Robert Porter (1917-1985), "for discovering the chemical structure of antibodies"
- 1980 Baruj Benacerraf (1920-2011), Jean Dausset (1916-2009) and George Davis Snell (1903-1996), "for discovery of the Major histocompatibility complex genes which encode cell surface molecules important for the immune system's distinction between self and non-self"
- 1984 Niels Jerne (1911-1994), Georges J. F. Köhler (1946-1995) and César Milstein (1927-2002) "for work on the immune system and the production of monoclonal antibodies"
- 1987 Susumu Tonegawa (1939-), "for discovering how the large diversity of antibodies is produced genetically"
- 1989 J. Michael Bishop (1936-) and Harold E. Varmus (1939-), "for discovering the cellular origins of retroviral oncogenes"
- 1996 Peter C. Doherty (1940-) and Rolf M. Zinkernagel (1944-) "for describing how MHC molecules are used by white blood cells to detect and kill virus-infected cells."
- 2011 Bruce Beutler(1957-), Jules A. Hoffmann (1941-) " for their discoveries concerning the activation of innate immunity" and Ralph Marvin Steinman (1943-2011)"for his discovery of the dendritic cell and its role in adaptive immunity"
- Alan Aderem, innate immunity
- Lorne Babiuk
- Kiril Bratanov (1911-1986), pioneer in the area of immunology of reproduction
- William Coley (1862-1936), pioneer of cancer immunotherapy
- Albert Coons (1912–1978), developed immunofluorescent techniques for labelling antibodies
- Deborah Doniach, organ-specific auto-immunity
- Eva Engvall, one of the scientists who invented ELISA in 1971.
- Denise Faustman, Type 1 diabetes
- William Frankland Popularisation of the UK pollen count, and prediction of increased penicillin allergy
- Ian Frazer development of a cervical cancer vaccine
- Samuel O. Freedman discovered Carcinoembryonic antigen
- Jules T. Freund (1890-1960)
- Sankar Ghosh
- John Grange
- Waldemar Haffkine (1860-1930), was the first microbiologist who developed and used vaccines against cholera and bubonic plague.
- Michael Heidelberger (1888–1991), showed that antibodies are proteins
- Leonard Herzenberg
- Miroslav Holub (1923-1998)
- Charles Janeway (1943-2003), wrote the standard textbook Immunobiology
- Dermot Kelleher
- Tadamitsu Kishimoto
- Jan Klein, Mhc
- Mary Loveless (1899–1991), insect venom allergy
- Tak Wah Mak, discovery of the T-cell receptor
- Polly Matzinger, immunological tolerance, Danger Model, Hyppo Model
- Ira Mellman
- Jacques Miller
- Avrion Mitchison
- Michael Neuberger
- Alan Munro
- Gustav Nossal
- Santa J. Ono
- Fred Rosen (1930-2005), discovered, the cause of X-linked hyper IgM syndrome.
- Richard R. Rosenthal
- Louis Wendlin Sauer (1885-1980) perfected pertussis vaccine, developed diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus vaccine
- Emil Skamene
- David Talmage clonal selection theory
- Reyes Tamez
- Kevin J. Tracey
- Jan Vilcek
- Ellen Vitetta
- Alexander S. Wiener (1907-1976)
- Don Wiley (1944-2001), crystallography of HLA proteins
- Ian Wilson (biologist)
- Ernst Witebsky (1901-1969), isolation and partial characterization of A and B blood antigens
- Jian Zhou (1957-1999), with co-inventor Ian Frazer has priority for invention of Virus-like particle and HPV vaccine
- Ivan Roitt
- James S. Tan (1927-2006)
Immunologists in popular culture