Liz Williams (born 1965) is a British science fiction writer. The Ghost Sister, her first novel, was published in 2001. Both this novel and her next, Empire of Bones (2002) were nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award. She is also the author of the Inspector Chen series.
Williams is the daughter of a stage magician and a Gothic novelist. She holds a PhD in Philosophy of Science from Cambridge (for which her supervisor was Peter Lipton). She has had short stories published in Asimov's, Interzone, The Third Alternative and Visionary Tongue. From the mid-nineties until 2000, she lived and worked in Kazakhstan. Her experiences there are reflected in her 2003 novel Nine Layers of Sky. This novel brings into the modern era the Bogatyr Ilya Muromets and Manas the hero of the Epic of Manas. Her novels have been published in the US and the UK, while her third novel The Poison Master (2003) has been translated into Dutch.
- The Ghost Sister (June 2001) - Philip K. Dick Award nominee
- Empire of Bones (March 2002) - Philip K. Dick Award nominee
- The Poison Master (January 2003)
- Nine Layers of Sky (August 2003)
- Banner of Souls (September 2004) - Shortlisted for the 20th Arthur C. Clarke Award, Philip K. Dick Award nominee
Detective Inspector Chen
- Snake Agent (La traite des âmes - trad.2014) (September 2005)
- The Demon and the City (August 2006)
- Precious Dragon (June 2007)
- The Shadow Pavilion (August 2009)
- The Iron Khan (December 2010)
- Morningstar (January 2015, self-published)
- Darkland (February 2006)
- Bloodmind (February 2007)
- Winterstrike (September 2008)
- Winterstrike sequel (Forthcoming)
- Winterstrike conclusion Forthcoming
- The Banquet of the Lords of Night and Other Stories (2004)
Diary of a Witchcraft Shop (with Trevor Jones)
- Diary of a Witchcraft Shop (2011)
- Diary of a Witchcraft Shop 2 (2013)
- Liz Williams' website
- David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer, ed. (2006). Year's Best Fantasy 6. Tachyon Publications. ISBN 1-892391-37-6.
- Peter Lipton (entry on Liz Williams's Livejournal)
- Liz Williams' website[dead link]
- DeNardo, John (February 14, 2013). "TOC: Old Mars Edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois". SF Signal. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Bedford, Robert H. (October 8, 2013). "Mars as We Thought it Could Be: Old Mars, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois". Tor.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Liz Williams's LiveJournal
- Liz Williams at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Night Shade Books publisher of the Detective Inspector Chen series and The Banquet of the Lords of Night and Other Stories
- 2006 interview at SFF Chronicles (UK)
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.