Louis-Jules André (1819-1890) was a French academic architect and the head of an important atelier at the École des Beaux-Arts.
Born in Paris, André attended the École des Beaux-Arts and took the Prix de Rome in architecture in 1847, attending the Villa Medici in Rome from 1848 through 1852, with some time spent in Sicily and Greece.
His best-known work is probably the Museum of Natural History (now the Gallery of Evolution) in the Jardin des Plantes in Paris, a transitional work combining classical rhythms and ornamental details with cast-iron structure and a glass roof. Among other honors he was a Commander of the Legion of Honor.
The atelier André produced some 500 students altogether, eight winners of the Prix de Rome, and even an alumni association founded in 1883 with 140 members. The graduates included:
- Julien Guadet, architect and theorist of architectural composition
- Victor Laloux (who would in turn head the workshop after André's death)
- Guillaume Tronchet
- Paul Bigot
- Emmanuel Pontremoli
- the American architect Henry Hobson Richardson (briefly)
- the American Bernard Maybeck
- the American Thomas Hastings, later of Carrere and Hastings.
- American architect and architecture, Volume 29, March 8, 1890
- Praeger encyclopedia of art, Volume 4, pg. 1333
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).