M. S. Narasimhan
|Mudumbai Seshacharlu Narasimhan|
Narasimhan in Bengaluru (2010).
Thandarai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
M. S. Raghunathan |
V. K. Patodi
Mudumbai Seshachalu Narasimhan (born 1932) is an eminent Indian mathematician. He is well known along with C S Seshadri for their proof of the Narasimhan–Seshadri theorem, and both were elected as Fellows of the Royal Society.
Narasimhan did his undergraduate studies at Loyola College, Chennai, where he was taught by Fr Racine. Fr Racine had studied with the famous French mathematicians Élie Cartan and Jacques Hadamard, and connected his students with the latest developments in modern mathematics. Among Racine's other students who achieved eminence, we may count Subbaramiah Minakshisundaram, K. G. Ramanathan, C S Seshadri, Raghavan Narasimhan, and C. P. Ramanujam.
Narasimhan went to the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Bombay, for his graduate studies. He obtained his Ph.D. from University of Mumbai in 1960; his advisor was K. Chandrasekharan. Among Narasimhan's distinguished students is M. S. Raghunathan who followed in this footsteps to bag the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize as well as become FRS. Two other students who made a mark as top-notch mathematicians are S. Ramanan and V. K. Patodi.
Degrees and posts held
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for Advanced Study (1968-1969)
- Fellow of the Royal Society, London
- Head, Mathematics Group of the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (1992–1999)
- Honorary Fellow, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bangalore Centre.
Awards and felicitations
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (1975)
- Third World Academy Award for Mathematics (1987)
- Padma Bhushan (1990)
- King Faisal International Prize for Science, 2006 (jointly with Simon Donaldson, Imperial College)
- "Community of Scholars Profile: Narasimhan, Mudumbai S.". Institute for Advanced Study. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- *Donaldson and Narasimhan Receive 2006 King Faisal Prize - Notices of the AMS, March 2006, Volume 53, Number 3.
- Narasimhan, M. S. (2007), Nitsure, Nitin, ed., The Collected Papers of M. S. Narasimhan. Volume I: 1956-1984 Volume II:1985-2001, Hindustan Book Agency and Indian National Science Academy, ISBN 978-81-85931-77-7
- Narasimhan, M. S.; Seshadri, C. S. (1965). "Stable and unitary vector bundles on a compact Riemann surface". Annals of Mathematics 82: 540–567. MR 0184252. doi:10.2307/1970710.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to M. S. Narasimhan.|
- Artless innocents and ivory-tower sophisticates: Some personalities on the Indian mathematical scene - M. S. Raghunathan
- M. S. Narasimhan at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).