|Maga Kavi Bharathi Nagar(MKB Nagar)|
மகாகவி பாரதி நகர்
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai North|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Perambur|
MKB Nagar, also known as Maha kavi Bharathi Nagar, is mainly a residential locality in the northern part of the metropolitan city of Chennai, Tamil Nadu state, India. It was earlier known as Tamil Nadu Housing Board Colony until 1982.
Location and Surroundings
MKB Nagar is located in North Chennai. It borders Kodungaiyur to the north, Mullai Nagar to the east, Vyasarpadi to the south east. National Highway 7(NH 7) borders this area in south. The locality was planned by the State Housing Board. The locality also consists of Weavers Colony in the north. It is where a lot of Saurashtrians live. There main occupation is Silk Saree weaving. It is 5 km from Chennai Central Railway Station.
MKB Nagar Police Station is situated on Central Avenue, has Assistant commissioner office also.
MKB Nagar BSNL Telephone Exchange. A Bus depot is located here. It houses buses terminating at KKD Nagar, MKB Nagar, Mullai Nagar and Vallalar Nagar.
MKB Nagar has a number of educational institutions catering to the residents of the area. Most notable ones are
- Dr. Ambedkar Government Arts and Science College, Vyasarpadi
- Sri Balaji Institute of Paramedical Sciences
The most famous schools are:
- I Kidz Academy - Play School, 12th West Cross st. (The best play school in the locality)
- Mercury Matriculation School
- Smt. Narmada Devi J Agarwal Vivekananda Vidyalaya
- Govt. Hr. Secondary School
- M P Devadas Primary & High School
- St. Joseph Matriculation HSS
- Good Samaritan HSS
- Don Bosco group of School
- Annai Velanganni Matriculation School
Nearly 30 to 35 years before, this place was just an empty rural forest with ponds in between. The Ashokleyland and Simsons owners gave the plots for their employees here and from then the business, commercial and social activities came into act and they started to develop very fast. At present in MKB Nagar, all facilities are available with outstanding services.
Public library under LLA is functioning in 13th Central cross Street, opens at 9 AM and closes at 7 PM
Metropolitan Transport Corporation (MTC) runs passenger buses to MKB Nagar from other major parts of the Chennai city. There are 2 Bus terminus in MKB Nagar. They are MKB Nagar & Mullai Magar (MKB Nagar East).
The nearest railway station is Vyasarpadi Jeeva.
The common bus services from MKB Nagar bus terminal are
|2A||MKB Nagar||Anna Square||Ambedkar college, Vyasarpadi, Walltax Road, Central, Chepauk, Triplicane, Presidency College, Marina Beach|
|33||MKB Nagar||Broadway||Ambedkar college, Vyasarpadi, Vallalar Nagar(Mint), Stanley Hospital, Mannadi|
|37E CUT||MKB Nagar||Vadapalani||Ambedkar college, Ganesapuram, Pattalam, Dovton, Vepery, Egmore, DPI, Sterling Road, Valluvar Kottam, Kodambakkam, Vadapalani|
|46G||MKB Nagar EAST (MULLAI NAGAR)||CMBT||MKB Nagar, Ambedkar college, Vyasarpadi, Ayanavaram, ICF, Anna Nagar East, CMBT|
|32Extn||Mullai Nagar||Vivekananda House||MKB Nagar, Ambedkar College, Vallalar Nagar(Mint), Stanley Hospital, Bharathi Women's College, Broadway Theatre, Mannadi, Central, Chepauk, Triplicane, ICE House|
|116A CUT||Mullai Nagar||Broadway||SathyaMoorthy Nagar, Vallalar Nagar(Mint), Stanley Hospital, Bharathi Women's College, Beach Station, Parrys|
Temples and Churches
Most famous temples are:
- St. Joseph's Church(RC Church), Near MKB Nagar Bridge .
- Valampuri Vyasa Vinayagar Temple, Near Bus Terminal.
- Sri Palaiyathamman Temple (Grama Devatha), Opposite to Ambedkar College
- CSI King of Kings Church, Central Avenue adjacent to MKB Nagar Police station
- Madina Masjid includes Baithulmaal, 13th Central Cross Road, MKB Nagar.
- St. Antony's Church (Roman Catholic; Ph:26739393), Sathyamoorthy Nagar
- Sri Subramanya Swami and Sri Lakshmi Narayanan Temple, 19th Central Cross St., MKB Nagar
- Sri Om Sakthi Vinayagar and Sri Venkateshwara Swami Temple, 19th East Cross St., MKB Nagar
- Sri Adhiparasakthi Amman temple, Central Avenue, MKB Nagar
- Sri Devi Karumariyamman temple, IVth Main Road, MKB Nagar
- A.H. Multispeciality Gastro and liver care center, 59 a, 4th cross street
- Krystal scan center, 59a, 4th cross street. By a Lady Radiologist
- Balaji hospital opp 2A, 33 BUS TERMINUS
- Jayam clinic, Meenambal salai, MKB nagar
- Dr. Paari Diabetic Centre
- Sapthagiri Diabetic Centre
- Sri Balaji Diabetic Hospital, 13th West Cross Road MKB Nagar of DR. K. Rajkumar Diabetologist
- Nallam Hospital, MKB Nagar, Opposite to Ambedkar College
- Krupa Multi Speciality Hospital, Central Avenue, MKB Nagar.
- Subha Clinic, MKB Nagar.
- A.H.Medical(Home), separate wing of A.H.M.C for Aged with or without attender.
The list of Community halls are
- Janaki Mahal, West Avenue, MKB Nagar
- Muslims (FREE) small function Hall. only misc expenses need to be paid
- Natarajan solution ( computer & Laptop Sales and Services center) 9941705529
The list of Banks are
- State Bank of India, GNT Road, MKB Nagar- 044-2673-3581, 2673-3582, 2673-3656, +(91)-9790942211
- Indian Overseas Bank,#2, Second cross st., MKB Nagar - 044-2673-9170
- Chennai Co-operative Bank, Opposite to Bus Depot, West Avenue, MKB Nagar
- Repco Bank, #2, West Avenue, MKB Nagar. (Near Ambedkar College signal) - 044-2551-1048
- Purasaiwalkam Co-operative Bank, Central Avenue, MKB Nagar
- Canara Bank ATM is located at Indian Oil Petrol Pump, West Avenue, MKB Nagar.
- ICICI Bank ATM is located at Indian Oil Petrol Pump, West Avenue, MKB Nagar.
- Axis Bank ATM at Bus Terminal, West Avenue, MKB Nagar.
- State Bank of India ATM at GNT Road, MKB Nagar.
Central Avenue, MKB Nagar, Vyasarpadi, Chennai 600039 - +(91)-(44)-2673-3104
More details about post office available at: http://www.tamilnadupost.nic.in/
Central Avenue, Mahakavi Bharathiyar Nagar, Chennai - +(91)-(44)-2673-4888, 2345–2531, 2345–2532
- Kadhambam Chettinadu Restaurant, AP 939, 13th Central Cross Street, Mkb Nagar, Chennai - 600039. Phone- 044-6659-1134
- Sri Maheswari Lunch Home, AP 967, 13th Central Cross Street, Mkb Nagar, Chennai - 600039. Phone- 044-2673-6688, +(91)-9884080765
Shopping in MKB Nagar is easily accessible. There are many fancy stores & garments shops in MKB Nagar which as collections of any dresses you want. There are also supermarkets around where you can buy your daily groceries & other things for daily needs. Educational centers for computer coaching, dance classes & tuitions are also available in the area. Hotels, Grocery shops, Cafeterias, Bakeries, Medical Centers and Restaurants are vastly available in MKB Nagar.