Makronisos (Greek: Μακρόνησος, lit. Long Island), or Makronisi, is an island in the Aegean sea, in Greece. It is located close to the coast of Attica, facing the port of Lavrio. The island has an elongated shape, Script error: No such module "convert". north to south, around Script error: No such module "convert". east to west, and its terrain is arid and rocky.
In ancient times the island was called Helena.
Today it is uninhabited but it was used as a prison island from the time of the Greek Civil War up until the restoration of democracy, following the collapse of the Regime of the Colonels in 1974. Because of its history, it is considered as a monument of the civil war era; therefore the island and the original structures on it are protected from alteration.
- Le Nouveau Parthénon (1975) by Kostas Chronopoulos et Giogos Chryssovitsianos.
- Happy Day (1976) by Pantelís Voúlgaris.
- Makronissos (2008), by Ilias Giannakakis et Evi Karabatsou.
- Like Stone lions at the gateway into night (2012), by Olivier Zuchuat
- Hamilakis, Yannis, "The Other 'Parthenon': Antiquity and National Memory at Makronisos", Journal of Modern Greek Studies 20:2 (October 2002), pp. 307–338.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.