Matrix gla protein
|Symbols||; MGLAP; NTI|
Matrix gla protein (MGP) is member of a family of vitamin-K dependant, Gla-containing proteins. MGP has a high affinity binding to calcium ions, similar to other Gla-containing proteins. The protein acts as an inhibitor of vascular mineralization and plays a role in bone organization.
MGP and osteocalcin are both calcium-binding proteins that may participate in the organisation of bone tissue. Both have glutamate residues that are post-translationally carboxylated by the enzyme gamma-glutamyl carboxylase in a reaction that requires Vitamin K hydroquinone.
Role in disease
Abnormalities in the MGP gene have been linked with Keutel syndrome, a rare condition characterised by abnormal calcium deposition in cartilage, peripheral stenosis of the pulmonary artery, and midfacial hypoplasia.
- Yao Y, Jumabay M, Ly A, Radparvar M, Cubberly MR, Boström KI (2013). "A role for the endothelium in vascular calcification". Circ. Res. 113 (5): 495–504. PMC 3851028. PMID 23852538. doi:10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.113.301792.
- Luo G, Ducy P, McKee MD, Pinero GJ, Loyer E, Behringer RR, Karsenty G (March 1997). "Spontaneous calcification of arteries and cartilage in mice lacking matrix GLA protein". Nature 386 (6620): 78–81. PMID 9052783. doi:10.1038/386078a0.
- Pinto JP, Conceição N, Gavaia PJ, Cancela ML (2003). "Matrix Gla protein gene expression and protein accumulation colocalize with cartilage distribution during development of the teleost fish Sparus aurata". Bone 32 (3): 201–10. PMID 12667547. doi:10.1016/S8756-3282(02)00981-X.
- Cancela L, Hsieh CL, Francke U, Price PA (1990). "Molecular structure, chromosome assignment, and promoter organization of the human matrix Gla protein gene". J. Biol. Chem. 265 (25): 15040–8. PMID 2394711.
- "Sequence: M58549.1 : Human matrix Gla protein (MGP) mRNA, complete cds.". European Nucleotide Archive. European Bioinformatics Institute.
- Munroe PB, Olgunturk RO, Fryns JP, Van Maldergem L, Ziereisen F, Yuksel B, Gardiner RM, Chung E (1999). "Mutations in the gene encoding the human matrix Gla protein cause Keutel syndrome". Nat. Genet. 21 (1): 142–4. PMID 9916809. doi:10.1038/5102.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.